Please sign in to post.

buying 110-220 500 watt power converters in spain

I want to travel with a device that will need a converter. It weighs 2.5 pounds. I would like to buy the inverter in spain rather than add the 3-8 pounds these inverters can weigh. Anyone kniw if they are sold there???

Posted by
836 posts

Here's one option, Amazon.es.

I was able to find a specialty cable at the big department store, El Corte Inglés. They most likely won't have your item but may know where to find it.
If you aren't very fluent language-wise, you may want to print an Amazon page of what you'd like to make it easier to communicate with others there.

Posted by
32813 posts

You will want to get your terms correct to avoid confusion with staff.

Inverters typically take power from a DC source like a car or boat battery and make it AC at the correct voltage, converters take AC at one voltage and change it to look like AC at another voltage, which is more likely what you need.

I see that you have had two threads going about voltage and plugs. Can share what you are taking so we can give a personalised answer?

Converters can do what you want, although they are inefficient, expensive, heavy, and do nothing for the difference in supply frequency - 60 Hz in North America versus 50 Hz in Europe. If whatever you want to power has a motor or an analogue timer, these will run slow and overheat even if fed the correct voltage.

These days this problem has many solutions, and very few people need or want to lug around the boat anchor anymore. I know all about these issues because when I returned to the UK many years ago I had all US appliances so cleared the shelves of Fry's of all their boat anchors and dealt with the ensuing problems over many years.

If you would like to share what needs powering we may be able to save you a lot of weight and hassle.

Posted by
2942 posts

Joan... are you sure you need a converter? really sure? these days most -if not all- electronic apparel has inbuilt features that allow them to be used anywhere in the world without the need to use converters, just a different plug. This way manufacturers can easily shift stock wherever is needed. If your whatever (hair dryer? laptop?) says something like: INPUT 100-240V-50-60Hz, like in this adapter it means you don't need a converter. Sorry if you already knew, I have found a lot of incoming visitors confused about this issue.

If you still need a converter, there are different shops you can get one, like at Leroy Merlin or Diotronic among other. The first one is a large DIY outlet, the latter is a proper electronic spare parts shop -and it's more central too.

Btw, they're are called "transformadors de corrent de 110v a 220v"

Enjoy!

PS: I just realise you didn't mention where in Spain you need that!... the above shops refer to Barcelona.

Posted by
7 posts

The company told me I need a 500 watt converter. It is an expensive ($1500) item and I don't want to damage it by not having the right equipment. It is a rapid release technology pro 2 sonar vibrating massage wand. Which is very useful for reducing muscle tightness as well as scar tissue and calcification.

Thanks very much for the store information. I may just bring my wand and get the inverter device over there.

Aloha! Joan

Posted by
8889 posts

Joan, again, you want a voltage converter, NOT an inverter. They are two very different pieces of equipment.

I suggest you source a 220V to 110V voltage converter, rated at 500 Watts, before you leave home, to be sure.
If the CONVERTER has a US plug on it, you need a plug adapter as well so you can plug it into a Spanish socket.

Posted by
9100 posts

Definitely need a converter for this device. The manual states the following:

"VOLTAGE
The Rapid Release Pro2 is available in two models: 110/120 volt model or
220/240 volt model.
Use the proper Voltage. Do not plug a 120V Rapid Release Pro2 into a
240V plug and vice versa. If you do need to use your Rapid Release Pro2
with a different voltage, you must use a transformer to change
the voltage.
This transformer must be rated at 300 Watts or higher and typically weigh
about 5lbs (2 KG). Using plug adapters or transformers rated less than
300 Watts will destroy your Rapid Release Pro2 and will void the
warranty."

Posted by
2942 posts

Right then, if your device is not multi-voltage then you definitively need a converter... read my post above and check the links for getting one. It seems it'll cost around $30. And it would be wise to bring the manual where it says what Michael just pointed.... so the shop assistant is aware of these requirements.

Also, as Chris mentioned, you'll also need a plug converter, which you can buy in the same store where you purchase your converter.

Yet...and excuse me for meddling, isn't there any "alternative treatment" you could do during your short (?) stay abroad so you don't have to go thru the hassle of carrying an expensive device, having to purchase a (heavy) converter... We do have very good physiotherapists here too, just in case this might be a choice. Again, just a suggestion!

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the tech specs. I hadn't seen those. just talked to the rep. that is very helpful!

Posted by
5836 posts

You presumably are looking for a voltage step-down transformer taking 220-240 vac (50 Hz) inputs and outputting 110-120 vac (50 Hz). Electric induction transforms only change voltage, not frequency. Your tiles indicates that you are looking for a 500 watt rated device. With a safety factor of two, you would want to be powering a device rated at 250 watts or LESS. If your device is rated at 150 watts, then the minimum transformer capacity should be 300 watts. If the device is rated at 300 watts, your transformer should be at least 600 watts, a factor of two.

If your converter gets warm/hot, shut it down.

I am not an electrical engineer but have seen a 120 volt iron smoked (smoke literally coming out of the iron) that had been connected to a "voltage converter". The 120 volt iron had been rated at something like 800 watts and was connected to smallish in size "voltage converter" rated for 1000 plus watts. One of the Australians in the wax room observed that irregardless of the converter's specification, a proper voltage transform would have weighed like a brick to to handle the 800 watts of power.

If your device is expensive and or critical don't cheap out on power capacity or quality. Buy from a reputable and knowledgeable supplier who understands what you are powering.