Please sign in to post.

Bus travel

We will be traveling by bus for part of our trip in Spain, where there doesn't appear to be a train option. Do we need to make bus reservations in advance?
Our routes include:
Ronda-Nerja
Nerja-Almeria
Almeria-Alicante

Posted by
7278 posts

We took several trains. The only route you are doing that we took the bus was Nerja to Malaga (one of of your buses in the Ronda-to-Nerja route.). I purchase our tickets ahead of time - not sure if it was required. We traveled in October. I will share a piece of advice: be sure you are not on any of the slower buses when there is a quicker one. We accidentally rode the slow one from Nerja to Malaga instead of the previous one, and it was almost a comically crazy ride trying to arrive in Malaga!

Posted by
863 posts

We were in Ronda last week and even in off season on a rainy day it was busy so I would either book the Ronda-Malaga bus or take the train. If there is a train option then I would take that rather than a bus as Spanish roads are crazy. We were on a bus tour from Seville to the white towns and our bus narrowly avoided several head on collisions.

Posted by
5738 posts

There certainly is a train service to Ronda, on the line to Algeciras. It's about 2 hours from Malaga, change at ANTEQUERA-SANTA ANA.

Posted by
19 posts

I used the Trainline app to buy bus tickets at the last minute. I think the answer to your question will depend on the frequency of departures. We were going to Madrid from Granada so there were many buses so a last minute ticket was easy to get.

I just searched your routes on a Friday in April and for tomorrow (i.e., last minute) and see lots of options and seats still available.

Posted by
4573 posts

ALSA is the main bus line for that area of Spain. If I recall from last visit, they also have dynamic pricing, so if you are sure on dates and time, you could save a bit buying ahead. They assign seats.