Please sign in to post.

Bullfights in madrid

Has anyone been to a bullfight in Madrid? I am staying in the center and it seems I would have to take the metro to the bullring. Is the metro and the area safe? How are the crowds? Are there problems such as fights, etc? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
1840 posts

You will only have a problem if the bulls get loose.

Posted by
55 posts

The area around Las Ventas is completely safe. You can take the subway to the bullring. I've been twice and never saw a problem such as fights. The crowds depend on the level of the bullfighters. In May during San Isidro, it is quite crowded, but bullfights in the summer might be only half full. It's quite a cultural experience. You can also take a tour of the bullring in the mornings. I found it to be interesting without the "gore" factor.

Posted by
1529 posts

Daricci,
Would tou please share with us your prior experiences in visiting Spain and using the metro system?
I am trying to find the best context to respond to your questions.
Thanks

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for your responses. To answer your question, this will be my first trip to Spain. I guess I'm a little reluctant because I'm old enough to remember what Fenway Park and the old New England Patriots stadium were like 40 years ago! I speak some Spanish but maybe not enough to deal with an unruly crowd.

Posted by
12172 posts

Madrid is pretty infamous for pickpockets on the metro, so use caution with your valuables. Any time you're in a crowd anywhere in Europe, it's good advice to watch your valuables. Other than that, depending on your metro connection, you may notice some of the connections require unusually long walks - give yourself time.

I've also seen protests that seemed just short of breaking into riots in Madrid, but I think that's more likely in the blocks from around Plaza Mayor toward the palace (government centers). I'm pretty sure the sports related riots will be for football matches rather than bullfights.

I went to a bullfight in Seville so didn't go out that direction while in Madrid.