Please sign in to post.

Bilbao

I will be in Bilbao at the end of a RS tour for a couple days. I am most interested in village life. I am an older single female traveler. Any suggestions about things I might do?

Posted by
6883 posts

Hi,
If you are interested in village life, you should stay in a village or small town for a bit. At what time of the year?
- If summer or near summer, I'd try to stay on a coastal town to get that slice of "village life"; Lekeitio or Mundaka would fit the bill, possibly Bermeo too but there is no beach there.
- Outside summer, then you could stay in Gernika, which is more a small town than a village, but is quite interesting for a day, or two at a stretch.

Posted by
2370 posts

If I understand correctly, you plan on staying IN Bilbao for your extra days, and taking day trips to villages?

If that is the case, I suggest you ask your guide for suggests while on the tour.

Posted by
638 posts

Easy access on the subway (clean, cheap, efficient and safe) to Plentzia and Getxo on the coast. Lekeitio (bus), Ea (bus), Elantxobe (bus), Mundaka (train or bus) may do on the coast, and inland I suggest Elorrio (bus) or Artziniega (bus) as beautiful, medieval towns.

Posted by
19 posts

October, and yes, I will be staying in Bilbao, so I'm talking about day trips. Thank you all for your helpful thoughts and suggestions.

Posted by
11294 posts

Don't overlook the Old Town in Bilbao. It's large, far less touristed than the Old Town in San Sebastian, and has many unique non-chain stores. The whole area seemed much more of a "locals experience" than I was expecting.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you, Harold. I will definitely spend time in Bilbao's Old town.

Posted by
4037 posts

You will learn lots more by consulting the city's tourism agency:

http://www.bilbaoturismo.net/BilbaoTurismo/en/tourists

Note particularly the walking tours as a way to orient yourself, quite cheap. When I joined, a few years ago, the young guide was useful and also demonstrated the still-simmering resentment of the Franco regime that subjugated the city and Basque area. Also worthwhile is the funicular up the steep river valley bank, the aerial "transporter" ( a ferry on cables high above the river), and the interesting beaux-arts museum that tends to be overshadowed by the unique Guggenheim.

Posted by
638 posts

Just a note: the Hanging Bridge (Puente Colgante) is outside the city, linking the towns of Portugalete and Getxo, easily accessible on the metro (Areeta stop on Line 1). You may want to climb to the top, on an elevator, and walk to the other side. A UNESCO World Heritage Monument and unique in the world.