Please sign in to post.

Best website to buy train tickets

I have seen trainline and also renfe mentioned as websites to buy tickets from. Which is the best for these routes?
Is it preferable to use websites and not in-person purchase for all these?
Madrid airport to downtown
Madrid to Toledo
Madrid to Cordoba
Cordoba to Granada
Granada to Seville
Seville to Madrid
Madrid to airport
Also when we arrive in Madrid, is it pretty easy getting tickets and a train to downtown?

Posted by
127 posts

A lot of people complain that the Renfe website can be finicky. I've used Trainline extensively for purchasing tickets and never had a problem.

Posted by
1714 posts

Train airport to downtown is just local transport. Just buy at the station from a ticket vending machine. Madrid to Toledo is also just a (fast) commuter train really.

Trainline is a good site, as in Spain there are mutliple operators on some routes, and Trainline will show all of them.

Posted by
2267 posts

Also when we arrive in Madrid, is it pretty easy getting tickets and a train to downtown?

The Circanias, or commuter trains, are easy if you arrive in Terminal 4 (Iberia, American, British, and some other, minor carriers.) The station is in the terminal. Those trains can take you to Atocha, but to get to Sol, the heart of the city center, you'd have to change trains (same system, no added cost.) You don't even need a pre-purchased ticket for these—you can enter by tapping a credit card (only on a limited number of turnstiles per entrance/exit) It comes out a 25-50 cents cheaper, too.

The metro is an option into the city from all terminals, but most city center destinations will require two transfers.

Posted by
395 posts

Thank you everyone! This is very helpful. We are staying a five minute walk from the Prado. I think this means we could take the Circanias that was mentioned to Atouche, then walk for 15 minutes or so?

Posted by
2267 posts

You can get off that same Circanias train at the stop before Atocha, at Recoletos station. I'd map out which of the two was closer to your hotel.