Please sign in to post.

Benalmadena Spain

Happy New Year all, will be in Benalmadena for 3 weeks in February, can you all advise what there is to do in the area with and without a car. Have not made the decision yet whether to rent a car or not. If there are activities that can be done without a car then that will be our choice. Thanks for your help
Wayne

Posted by
5259 posts

Benalmadena is a seasonal resort catering primarily for cheap package holidays for the British. It does have an unenviable reputation for attracting some of the less desirable elements of the British tourist hordes however you're unlikely to encounter any of them in February. You're unlikely to encounter much of anyone. Many places will be closed for the winter and won't be opening until March at the earliest.

I have always had a car whilst on the Costa Del Sol so I have no experience or advice regarding public transport. Malaga will have some sights of interest that will be open and I'm sure that it can be reached by public transport. Nearby you have the resorts of Fuengirola and Torremolinos, both of which are in the same league as Benalmadena and both of which will be very quiet.

I'm curious as to why you've chosen to spend three weeks in Benalmadena in February. It's not an obvious choice!

Posted by
27101 posts

You may find this webpage helpful, though it is not maintained by the bus company serving Benalmadena. I don't see dates on the linked bus schedule, but there are references to Christmas and New Year's, so I hope the information is accurate for February.

Note that it will take over 40 minutes to get to Malaga by bus, so going anywhere that requires transferring in Malaga will be quite time-consuming.

You'll need other arrangements for getting to Granada if you want to see the Alhambra and will probably need to spend at least one night away from your Benalmadena lodgings. Take care of your Alhambra ticket right away. Those sell out very early.