Please sign in to post.

Baztan Valley

I'm a huge fan of the books and TV series "The Baztan Trilogy" by Dolores Redondo, and I'm planning to visit her home town Elizondo, where the action takes place this April. But it looks pretty hard to get to by public transportation; no trains, but perhaps a bus from Pamplona or San Sebastián. Any suggestions? Judging from the series, it rains a lot there, so I plan to dress accordingly.

Posted by
7024 posts

Depending on what else you plan on doing regarding visiting places in the valley, you could get a rental car. The town is pretty small. I’m not certain how easy it would be to get to/from other towns and villages, overlooks, etc., in a timely manner using public transportation.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks to both of you, your advice is really helpful. Actually, I'm looking forward to the rain and the green, since I live in the desert in New Mexico. We often go weeks, and months without a drop.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks again Mike, and thanks for explaining the meaning of Elizondo. It looks like a beautiful place with an intriguing history and culture. Can you tell me if Señora Redondo's books were well received in the area, because they are somewhat controversial? I'd hate to offend anyone, especially if some of the characters are based on real people.

Posted by
716 posts

Yes, no major issues with that...the inhabitants of the valley just complained a bit about the increase of tourism, as it´s a very peaceful, isolated area.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks again. I'll be as quiet and respectful of their privacy as possible.