Please sign in to post.

Basque Country in October

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Basque country in early October. I know we’ll be visiting San Sebastián, Bilbao, Vitoria, and definitely making a trip to see San Juan Gaztelugatxe. We’re only here aor 5 days. Here are my questions:

1. What will the weather be like
  2. What company does a good pintxos food tour in San Sebastián
  3. Is ariver cruise in Bilbao worth it or is a bicycle tour better
  4. I know this region is a foodie heaven, what are great restaurants to have dinner
  5. Any other sites or cities we should visit than those 4 mentioned

Thank you!

Posted by
6893 posts

Hi,
- Why Vitoria ? It's an enjoyable place for sure, but in five days (four nights?) your schedule might be tight. I'd rather spend those five days entirely between Bilbao and San Sebastian.
- Will you have a car? It's helpful to explore the coast.
- Weather is notoriously fickle in that part of the world, but early October shouldn't be too wet yet
- Great restaurants are plentiful. I've enjoyed over the past few years (do check recent reviews):
-- Akelarre in S. Sebastian ($$$$, Michelin-starred)
-- Arropaín in Lekeitio ($$-$$$, excellent fish). Lekeitio is worth a brief visit too.
-- Pintxo-hopping in S. Sebastián old town ($-$$), follow the crowd and you can't go very wrong. As an example, I like "Tambori", but you should sample several in a row, I don't see the need for a food tour.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey legillott
my best friend is from the French basque area, st Jean de luz. gorgeous countrysides of farms, ranchers, produce/fruit growers, family owned hotels, some have restaurants and pools, away from the crowds. Her family stays at hotel eskualduna-chez katina.
travelswithmaribel.wordpress.com
lots of info about pays basque, different villages known for different items (red peppers, ciders and liqueurs of different fruits, black red cherries, Bayonne ham. stop at the les halles market in Bayonne for souvenirs and other products from that place.
buscovivo.com does tours.
rhune train
walk around Biarritz, well known surfing beaches.
will you have a car? make sure you have an IDP (license permit) for each driver from AAA/CAA, pickup/drop off car in same country, you don’t get charge $$$$$.
lots of things to keep you busy.
have lots of fun, we will be other side of France near Geneva and also Paris for almost 3 weeks mid September.
aloha