Please sign in to post.

Barcelona to Girona

Hello

The tour for 2 adults and 2 kids is 344.00 from Barcelona to Costa Brava and Girona.. This is whats included:
Highlights Girona and Costa Brava tour from Barcelona Visit the rural fishing village, Calella de Palafrugell Catch sight of the Girona Cathedral Relax on the beach or go for a swim Transport by air-conditioned coach..

however we can take the train for us 4 for 136.00
YOUR SELECTED FARE
Fri. 21 Sep. 18 12:44 PM BARCELONA SANTS 01:22 PM GIRONA 0h 38m Direct Train $68 Fare details
Fri. 21 Sep. 18 09:01 PM GIRONA 09:40 PM BARCELONA SANTS 0h 39m Direct Train $68.00
136.00 Total...

Should we take the tour or go on our own and save some money?

TY
Martha

Posted by
27616 posts

The experiences will be totally different. Did you notice that on the tour you "catch sight of" the cathedral? Does the tour allow you actually to do anything in Girona? It's worth a full day: walkable wall; two cathedrals (English audio guides can be rented); beautiful, large historic district; fine museum of reasonable size. But Girona is not on the coast, so you will have no beach time.

I suspect that this is primarily a bus tour to the coast with a rather brief stop in Girona. I am not a beach person, so it would leave me massively frustrated, but your family may love beaches.

You are apparently not using a good website to price out the train tickets. Do not use RailEurope; it may cost you a great deal extra. The Renfe website indicates that if you bought the tickets for September 21 today, you'd have some options at €12.95 or €25 round-trip for each of the adults on one of the fast trains. I don't know your children's ages, so I can't determine their fares. Those fares are even available for the 9:45 AM fast train today (which is just one or two hours in the future as I write this). I don't see any trains with round-trip fares above €25.05, so that looks like the walk-up fare for round-trips. In Spain, round-trips are often about the same price as a single one-way ticket. Remfe can be a bit tricky for US ticket purchasers, so,many folks here recommend using trainline.eu, whose prices will be about the same.

Whether there's a practical way to combine Girona with some time at a beach, using train/bus, I don't know. I hope Enric will see this thread and comment.

Posted by
3043 posts

Hi Martha

I agree with Ann, Girona is a destination worth spending time in. And since Girona is not close to the beach, I wouldn't count on both pleasures on the same day. The tour you mention is likely to be one of those in which you spend more time on board the bus than visiting places. For Girona I always suggest DIY... more fun, cheaper, at your pace and easy to set up even without speaking Catalan -the local language- nor Spanish (co-official)

I would also suggest an earlier departure, say 9ish -as said, you have plenty for a full day in Girona. Then the overall price for the four of you is 91€ (as of today, Aug 8th).

If you want to add a twist to the journey, may I suggest a Barcelona-Besalú-Girona-Barcelona? The first stretch of the journey you can do on a direct bus Barcelona-Besalú, then is a commuter bus to Girona than a fast train back to Barcelona. Why Besalú?... with kids on board it's a no-brainer, duh!....

More details on this proposal here.

Enjoy!

Posted by
43 posts

We were in Girona for 3 nights with kids 6 and 9. They enjoyed walking the wall in Girona and climbing up the watch towers. I loved Besalú - so charming and uncrowded. The miniature museum there is small but fascinating.

There is a playground right outside Girona train station that has a small zip line. We don't have that type of play structure at home, so the kids really liked that.

Posted by
168 posts

Do you think its best (instead of the tour) that we rent a car in Barcelona and leave early.. Spend some time in Girona and then go to the beach in Costa Brava?
We got the international driving permit.