Please sign in to post.

Barcelona to Figueres

Starting the RS Barcelona and Madrid tour on 9/4-going a few days early to acclimate. Any suggestions for the trip from Barcelona to Figueres to visit the Dali Museum. Do a "tour" or just go on our own by train?
any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and happy traveling.

Posted by
11130 posts

I would take the train. I have never had as much time as I wanted in museums when on a tour.

Posted by
35 posts

Time important? Take the day tour as you will not only visit the Figueres Museum but also the lovely seaside town of Cadeques where lunch is included and nearby Dali seaside former home museum at Pt. Lligat. (Pt. Lligat was not on our radar- what a surprise). We had plenty of time at Pt. Lligat, about two hours at Figueres, an excellent value for the distance, included tickets and reservations, and three course lunch at coast side restaurant. Maximum in van tour was 8, only 4 the day we went in 2019. Excellent guide who gives all the interesting Dali information on the drive there. Best day of our trip! PM for more details.

Posted by
27062 posts

Does the tour allow time for the fabulous jewelry collection in Figueres? It's very near the Theatre-Museum and covered by the same ticket.

For those wanting to see the house in Port Lligat, a tour covering both Dali sights offers a logistical advantage, though I have the same concern as Suki about being badly rushed. For travelers just wanting to see the Theatre-Museum, I'd prefer the do-it-yourself approach unless there is someone mobility-impaired in the travel party. The fast trains from Barcelona stop at the Figueres-Vilafant station about a mile from the museum. If you're unlucky enough to be on a train that runs late, the bus from the station into town may not wait. If this would be a problem for you, research local taxi telephone numbers ahead of time in case there isn't one waiting at the station.

Posted by
15576 posts

I mapped out central Barcelona (Pl, de Catalunya) to the Dali Theatre-Museum to Cadeques and back to the starting point. It came to over 4-1/2 hours driving time. With an hour for lunch, that doesn't leave much time for the sights.

I looked for day trips and the first to come up is more reasonable one starting in Figueres and then stopping in Girona on the way back. Driving time is an hour less. The tour includes the Dali Jewels and a guided tour in Girona. You can also do that on your own by train. Plan to arrive at the Dali Theatre-Museum when they open, then take the train to Girona and back to Barcelona. It's 15 minutes on the train from Figueres to Girona and another 40 minutes back to Barcelona. (adding it up, it's just under an hour on the train from Barcelona Sants to Figueres Vilafant.

Posted by
6505 posts

We took the train, then walked to the museum from the train station In Figueres.

Posted by
35 posts

Yes, the tour included the jewelry collection as well as the relaxing ride enjoying the breathtaking views along the Costa Brava to Cadeques, seen in Dali’s paintings.

Posted by
27062 posts

The public bus from Figueres (the main station, not Figueres Vilafant) takes that same scenic road.

Posted by
3 posts

I took the train from Barcelona to Girona, spent a day walking around the old historic center, then the next morning caught the train to Figueres. It's an easy walk from the train station to the Dalí Theater-Museum. I spent a long time in the museum (I'm a huge Dalí fan), then caught the train back to Girona for the night.

Posted by
27062 posts

Girona is a very good place to spend a few nights. That gets you time in Girona itself as well as substantially shortening the travel time to Figueres, Cadaques and Besalu, among other destinations in northeastern Catalunya.