Please sign in to post.

Barcelona to Aix-en-Provence July 2016, 8 days

I see that this topic has been talked about before but not for a trip as short as ours that specifically must end in Provence. Advice is appreciated!

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Barcelona and Northern Spain that will end with the wedding of another friend in Provence. We'll arrive in Europe on Saturday afternoon and must be in Aix-en-Provence by the following Friday afternoon. We depart Europe Sunday.
Any advice on towns to stop in between Barcelona and Provence is appreciated, also how long to spend in each place. Really, any advice is welcome because neither of us have been in this part of the world before. We're looking for some wine drinking, maybe a nice beach, beautiful views, hiking and lots of eating.
Thanks!

Posted by
745 posts

Collioure! Beautiful French seaside village close to Spain's border. It's in Rick's book.

Posted by
119 posts

We returned a month ago from a trip to Italy, Provence, and Barcelona. We found 3 nights in Barcelona to be plenty of time to see all the main areas, including shopping in both the Goti and Ramblas, as well as checking out all the Gaudi sites. We did not have a car, but found the city to be wonderfully walkable. You didn't ask for a hotel recommendation, but we loved Hotel Alma in the Eixample. We took the train to Nimes and spent 5 days in Provence, seeing, Avignon, St Remy, Les Baux, L'Isle sur la Sorgue, and the Cotes D'Rhone area. Then we traveled to Aix and Nice. Nice was wonderfully romantic, though it is a bit off the path between Barcelona and Aix, but I'd definitely recommend it for a honeymoon. Great food there too! The towns we visited in Provence were all north of Aix, but if you have a car, I'd definitely take a drive to Les Baux and Rousillon and Gigandes.

Posted by
10222 posts

I second the suggestion of Collioure. It's a charming beach town just north of the border of Spain. I don't know that I would consider the beach to be nice, as it is rocky like much of the coast. I also really like Cassis, in Provence. It's a nice little town with a sandy beach.

I spent 3 nights in Barcelona and felt it was a sufficient amount of time.

Posted by
7175 posts

Sat / Sun / Mon - Barcelona (3nts)
Tue - To Collioure (1nt) - changing train at Cerbere
Wed - To Avignon (2nts) - perhaps the afternoon/evening in Arles
Thu - Excursion to Nimes & Pont du Gard
Fri - Sights of Avignon before proceeding to Aix-en-Provence in the afternoon

Posted by
2 posts

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Very helpful. Thank you! I'll post our final itinerary once we're decided.