Please sign in to post.

Barcelona - Spring Break 2017

My wife and I snagged some cheap flights to Barcelona for spring break (Mar 9-17) and are considering two itineraries 1) Barcelona/Madrid/Toledo or 2) the Andulacia region (Granada, Rhonda, etc.) We enjoy sightseeing/countryside/history, food/wine, but avoid big buildings/churches. Any advice on either itinerary/plan:

Itinerary 1
3/8 - DFW/BCN
3/9 - arrive Barcelona 10am, stay overnight
3/10- Barcelona
3/13- Madrid ( or side trips - Montserrat, Figureres and Tarragona)
3/14-Toledo
3/16-train to Barcelona, stay near airport
3/17-BCN/DFW 6:30am

Itinerary 2
3/8 - DFW/BCN
3/9 - arrive Barcelona 10am, stay overnight
3/10- Fly Veuling to Malaga, rent a car
3/11 - Drive to Granada, sleep overnight
3/12 - Tour Alhambra, dinner at sunset, sleep overnight
3/13 - Drive to Rhonda, sleep overnight
3/14 - Tour White hill towns, (Grazalema, Zahara, etc) Arcos overnight
3/15 - Tour Arcos, stay overnight
3/16 - Return car, fly to Barcelona, stay near airport
3/17 - BCN to DFW 6:30am

We're struggling with staying in Barcelona the area in early March or stretching ourselves and traveling to the Andulacia region.

Posted by
2622 posts

You are trying to pack way too much in here in itinerary 2. You've got 8 nights in Spain and you've already got tickets in and out of Barcelona. You don't say what your travel history is....first trip to Europe, first trip to Spain etc. But even if you've been a ton of places, you're just going to see very little on this second roughed out trip as you're just doing a lot of transiting around. You'd probably have a better trip if you'd consider Barcelona and maybe one other destination, based on a bit of research and your own preferences. Your first itinerary has a better pace.

Posted by
27053 posts

On a 9-day trip, two intra-European flights are not something I'd want to include, but I understand the attraction of relatively sunny southern Spain in March.

Have you checked the closing days of key attractions to be sure you aren't hitting cities on the wrong days? On a short trip like this, that is especially important.

For Itinerary #1: You really have just seven days, discounting your arrival day when many if not most travelers find they are too jetlagged for significant sightseeing. There is more than enough in the Barcelona area to fill that time should you not want the hassle of trains to and from Madrid and a hotel change. In addition to the possibilities you list for March 13 there is the lovely Girona.

If including Madrid I'd consider heading straight there on arrival day and save the non-jetlagged March 16 as a mostly usable day.

For Itinerary #2: Have you verified the availability of Alhambra tickets? They do sell out, and your trip is coming up soon. I assume the Alhambra is the reason why you're considering Granada. If Granada doesn't pan out, I'd fly into Seville instead.

I like Ronda and have always wanted to see the white villages, but I would not spend 2-1/2 days in that area in lieu of seeing Seville or Cordoba. That's just my personal opinion, obviously.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would pump for this ...

3/9 - DFW/BCN arrive 10am, late afternoon train to Madrid - 4 nights
3/10 - Segovia day trip
3/11 - Madrid sights
3/12 - Toledo day trip
3/13 - Morning AVE to Barcelona - 4 nights
3/14 - Barcelona sights
3/15 - Barcelona sights
3/16 - Day trip to Montserrat / Figueres / Tarragona
3/17 - BCN/DFW depart 6:30am

The minute you start to look at Barcelona-Madrid-Seville or Barcelona-Granada-Seville, you begin to lose too much of your precious time by moving locations. Andalusia has been there for a while, and will remain so for you to go back to.

Factor in some safety time on your arrival day in to Barcelona - three hours for a leisurely lunch by the sea, or three hours to cover any potential delays (hopefully the former).

Posted by
15576 posts

Itin. #1 - I would stay in/around Barcelona. Going to Toledo eats up too much time, and there's nothing in Madrid that aligns with your interests that you won't have elsewhere. Instead spend a night in Girona. I would recommend going to Valencia to get a taste of Las Fallas on the 15th-16th, then take the train back to Barcelona late on the 16th.

Itin. #2 - Fly to Granada, not Malaga 2-3 nights. Rent a car, drive to Antequera for 1 night (nice old town with views from the top, prehistoric dolmens just outside the town). Next day visit El Torcal National Park for some hiking, take a detour to the "Pink Lagoon" to see the flamingos, drive to Ronda 1-2 nights, visit hill towns, after Arcos, drive to Cordoba for 1 night. See the Mezquita, train to Barcelona. If you have "extra nights" spend one more in Cordoba and day trip by train to Sevilla.

Flip a coin. Both are great.

Posted by
7175 posts

This would work, whether it's advisable is another matter.

3/9 - DFW/BCN arrive 10am, late afternoon train to Cordoba - 1 night
(AVE 3942 - Barcelona Sants - dep 15:50 / Cordoba Central - arr 20:30)
3/10 - Morning visit to Mezquita then pm train to Sevilla - 2 nights
3/11 - Sevilla sights
3/12 - Train to Granada - 2 nights
3/13 - Alhambra - PREBOOKED TICKETS A MUST
http://apc.ticketmaster.es/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_alhambra/
3/14 - Fly to Barcelona - 3 nights
(Vueling Airlines VY2013 - GRX Granada dep 14:10 / BCN Barcelona arr 15:35)
3/15 - Barcelona sights
3/16 - Barcelona sights

Posted by
95 posts

Thank you so much for your feedback and advice regarding our Spain travel plans! We've always wanted to see the Andulacia region, but it sounds like we should focus this trip on Barcelona, Madrid, and Toledo.

Thanks, Ken

Posted by
650 posts

You're quite right to stick to Barcelonia and Madrid. We are in the throws of planning a month long trip to Spain. It's much too easy to plan on moving too often, Both Madrid and Barcelona have many easy daytrips to smaller places. We may stay almost a week in Barcelona, and five nights in Madrid for that reason (and we do enjoy buildings and churches). Add Stiges and Girona would to your Barcelona daytrip list. Around Madrid consider Segovia, Toledo, Avila and, Cuenca.

I'd tweak your plans by going straight to Toledo or Madrid by train upon landing and doing Barcelona at the end of the trip. You'll get more actual sightseeing time that way.

If you really don't like big buildings and churches, consider renting a car from Madrid and setting up camp in a smaller town and driving to other small towns, before returning the car and taking the train back to Barcelona.

Posted by
27053 posts

If traveling in March, I'd inquire locally (in Barcelona) before setting out for Sitges. It was a nice day-trip in August, but it's a fairly small beachy resort (albeit an old town), and I'm not sure how lively it would be in late winter. Paging @Enric!

Posted by
7175 posts

In 1990 I took an Easter vacation (early April) from London to Catalunya and Provence. And whilst our few days in Sitges were very quiet, restaurants were mostly open and we did enjoy sunshine on the beach in our bathers. It is not entirely seasonal like other places on the Med.

Posted by
95 posts

Thank you very much for all the feedback! I especially appreciate the recommendation to save Andulacia for another trip and the suggestion to travel to Valencia for the Fallas fiesta is fantastic too!

Any other suggestions? We enjoy festivals, food, wine, etc....

Posted by
15576 posts

I think if you go to Valencia, you'll be wasting too much travel time to go to Madrid as well. It's much easier to see Madrid on your next trip, when you go to Andalucia.

There are fireworks in Valencia (at midnight or 1 am) beginning the night of the 15th and a party atmosphere with people in the streets until the wee wee hours.

Posted by
95 posts

Any Apartment/Airbnb recommendations near Puerta del Sol in Madrid?

Update: based on everyone's feedback, we're focusing on Barcelona and Madrid (Toledo or Segovia day trip).
3/9 - DFW/BCN arrive 10am, late afternoon train to Madrid - 5 nights
3/10 - Madrid sights
3/11 - Madrid - Toledo or Segovia
3/12 - Madrid - Bull fight/flea market on Sundays
3/13 - Madrid sights
3/14 - Morning AVE to Barcelona - 3 nights
3/15 - Barcelona sights - Day trips
3/16 - Barcelona - (Guadi Segrada Familia)(Stay at airport overnight)

Thanks again for all feedback!

Posted by
6502 posts

Get itinerary 2 out of your head, there's way too much to do in so little time. For Barcelona, Monserrat is one day trip while Figueres is a different day trip. Both are worth visiting and a 1 hour train ride from Barcelona.

Posted by
27053 posts

Figueres is nearer two hours from Barcelona. I didn't get to the Dali sights in Figueres and outside Cadaques on my recent trip, but friends raved about the Dali Theatre & Museum in Figueres.

I loved Girona, which can take as little as 40 minutes on the fast train. It has a walkable wall, two great cathedrals, a lovely, largish historic district and a fine museum. Worth multiple nights but also highly recommended as a day trip from Barcelona.

Posted by
15576 posts

Do you know that there's a bullfight on the 12th? I took a quick look, didn't find any before the 26th. There are several good day trips from Barcelona, but you can only do one. And that doesn't leave you much time for all the other great sights there.

What sights are you planning in Madrid that you want 3 full days there? You wrote We enjoy sightseeing/countryside/history . . . . but avoid big buildings The main sights in Madrid are the art museums and the palace.

Posted by
95 posts

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and appreciate the feedback!

Chani, thank you for checking on the bull fights in Madrid on the 12th and too bad that it's not scheduled. I just read Rick's Spain book and noted that bull fights and the flea market is usually scheduled on Sundays. We're still working on our day trip itinerary and looking at Toledo and possibly Segovia. You're very observant about our preference to avoid buildings/churches! I welcome all suggestions!