Please sign in to post.

Barcelona, Seville, Granada - April 2019

I have decided to dive into the Rick Steves travel forum pool to get some advice for an upcoming trip to Spain in April 2019 for 9 days, (arrival and departure days inclusive,) possibly 10 days if I get an evening flight out on a Friday. The trip will end on the Easter Monday. I know Barcelona is far from Seville and Granada, and logistically is not ideal, but these are the three places I really want to go in the time I have. (Please no grief about omitting Madrid.) How should I organize my itinerary of these three cities, particularly keeping in mind ease of flying into/out of them with respect to North America, and mode of transport between these three places (except rental vehicle) that maximizes efficiency with the least hassle. Muchas gracias in advance for your suggestions!

Posted by
5581 posts

No grief, people have mixed opinions about Madrid. There does not seem to be mixed opinions about Barcelona! People love it. It's too bad you can't get some additional days. Even two more would make a difference. Barcelona is not at all close to Sevilla and Granada. Ideally I think I'd want a minimum of 3 days in Sevilla, 2 days in Granada and at least 5 in Barcelona. There are so many super short or daytrips from Barcelona including Monserrat and one of my favorite cities in Europe, Girona. You might also run into issues in Sevilla and Granada because I anticipate Holy Week will be very busy.

Posted by
7175 posts

Day
1. Arrive in Barcelona (3N)
2. Barcelona
3. Barcelona
4. Fly to Granada (2N)
5. Visit the Alhambra
6. Morning train to Cordoba for the Mezquita, then evening train on to Seville (3N)
7. Seville
8. Seville
9. Depart from Seville

If you manage an extra night, then definitely add it to your Barcelona stay.

Posted by
879 posts

Being there during Holy Week is going to affect your sightseeing massively. On the positive side it’s an entirely unique experience and depending on your beliefs, a life-altering one. Negatively, accommodations, sightseeing hours, crowds are going to be a factor. I hate to say it, but you may find it easier to leave Grenada (or Sevilla) out for this trip. Grenada is not easy to get to, like a 5 hour train to/from Madrid. No idea how you would go to/from Barcelona, but it won’t be easier. A flight might be best.

Honestly, I found Grenada interesting, but not mind-blowing. Sevilla’s Alcazar is a decent stand-in for the Alhambra if you’re pressed. Maybe you just put it on the back burner, and do Barcelona/Córdoba/Sevilla? Either way I feel like you’ve got done research to do re: Holy Week.

Posted by
27110 posts

I think David, as always, has nailed the logistics. But that's just too short a time in Barcelona. Painful though it is, I'd pick 2 of the 3 cities, or even spend all the time in Barcelona/Catalunya.

If the Holy Week situation is manageable (and I hope it is, because I may be in Andalucía at that time next year), you could just do Andalucía on this trip, using train/bus. It's relatively easy to get to Barcelona on a later trip. Although I'm not in love with Madrid, it is certainly worth visiting, plus it has some of Europe's best side-trips. Barcelona and Madrid are a quick train ride apart and combine easily. Or Barcelona plus the Basque Country (though I don't think April is a great time for the latter).

Or, if you're willing to burn the travel time, you could combine Barcelona with either Seville/Cordoba or Granada. The Seville connection works by train as well as it does by flight. Granada would mean a mid-trip flight. I hate those.

Posted by
3903 posts

Even though I am from Barcelona - I am going to recommend you remove Barcelona from this itinerary for the simple fact that you will have the opportunity to be in Andalucia during Semana Santa! The significance of Semana Santa in Spain cannot be understated (especially in Andalucia) you have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience that. Even if you are not religious, this will be a significant cultural and social experience, which is not to be missed!

As three nights will not be enough for Barcelona and will eat away from the other locations you want to visit, again I would save Barcelona for another trip. Here is what I would recommend:

Fly in to Sevilla
-Sevilla (4 nights)
Train to Córdoba
-Córdoba (2 nights)
Bus to Granada
-Granada (2 nights)
Fly out from Granada to Madrid and then on to UK/North America

Note that Easter Monday is a public holiday. The large majority of shops and restaurants will be closed.

Posted by
162 posts

Day
1. Arrive in Barcelona (3N)
2. Barcelona
3. Barcelona
4. Fly to Granada (2N)
5. Visit the Alhambra
6. Morning train to Cordoba for the Mezquita, then evening train on to Seville (3N)
7. Seville
8. Seville
9. Depart from Seville

I am leaving for Spain in two weeks and doing almost exactly the same itinerary. Only difference is, I have an additional night that I am using to stay in Cordoba (and obviously I won't be in Andalusia for the Holy Week).

I'll report back here once I return and let you know how it goes.