Please sign in to post.

Barcelona & Madrid

Hello-
This will be my first trip to Europe. I am Flying to Barcelona Sept 22nd From NYC and arriving in Barcelona Sept 23 at 7am. I cannot check into my apartment until 4pm. So I pretty much have that whole day. I am staying near Poblenou Beach area. I Am departing Barcelona sept 27th and heading to Madrid. i Leave Madrid at 430 in the afternoon. Here are my questions-
1. This is my first trip and although id love to see everything, i know that is impossible. What would you recommend as top places/tours to see/do while im there in Barcelona? I would like to do one day trip also, debating on costa brava or the Montserrat tour.
2. When i depart on Sept 27th im not sure if im going to fly to madrid since its cheaper than taking the train but the train is 6km from where im staying and the airport is about a 40 minute cab ride. But that cost is split amongst 3 people, so its not that bad.

3, When going to madrid, what do you recommend seeing while im there? i know its a short time. I am staying on Calle de Carlos Arniches,

1. The time that im going to Barcelona is the La Merce festival. Unfortunately, the dates have been released but not the itinerary ( atleast from what ive researched and found) which makes me a bit disappointed because i want to try to plan around it.

some of the things that interest us
-food/wine/beer .. we want to explore the food , thats a must
-learn the history and experience the culture
-we love adventurous itineraries, like hiking, boating, biking, etc
- i wanted to visit the cathedrals and see some of the art

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to plan this itinerary where its not so jam packed but enough for us to explore and get to know both Barcelona and Madrid the best way we can in the short period of time. i am also looking at tour guides but not sure what is exactly worth it, when some of these places you can visit yourself for half the cost. so again, any insight is helpful
-Thank you

Posted by
11294 posts

Do you have Rick Steves Spain? If not, get it immediately. It has answers to many of your questions, as well as to other questions you didn't even think to ask yet.

Barcelona has many days of "top sights," so you'll have to be selective. And anything involving Picasso or Gaudi requires advance reservations to prevent having to wait in line for several hours (and possibly not getting in at all). So start looking now at what you want to see, and plan on one reserved item per day. Then, work around the reservations to fill in other sights.

Madrid's top sights are the "big 3" museums (Thyssen, Reina Sofia, and above all the Prado). I also enjoyed the Sorolla Museum, the Parque Retiro, and walking around the various neighborhoods.

For getting between Barcelona and Madrid, the train is MUCH faster, when you figure end to end. Not only do you have to allow time to get to and from the airports, and to go through security, you also have to allow time to get to and from your gates (Madrid Barajas is HUGE). It also takes money to get to and from the airport, whereas you can take a cheap Metro ride to and from the train stations to your accommodation. So, it would take a MAJOR discount for me to use a flight between these cities.

When looking at train prices, be sure you are buying from the official Renfe website for best prices: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html. You will need this tutorial from TripAdvisor to buy tickets on it: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid:Spain:Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html. And you need to use Paypal, as US credit cards mostly don't work, but Paypal does.

Looking at Renfe for your travel date, I see that the 8 AM AVE departure is still available for €49.55, and some others are around €75. For that price, there's no way I'd fly instead. Do be careful to book an AVE and not one of the other trains that take much longer (although some of them are temptingly cheap).

Posted by
1 posts

I bought tickets recently for train travel on Rail Europe using my credit card without any problem. Not only that but I didn't even see an option to use PayPal. I think their site has changed since Rick Steves published that information in his 2017 Spain book.

Posted by
27176 posts

RailEurope and Renfe are not the same thing. Renfe is the Spanish national railroad and is the best place to buy Spanish rail tickets. RailEurope is sometimes selective in the tickets it offers and may charge extra fees.

Posted by
4051 posts

Some have found the Trainline.eu website easier to use, and at little or no extra cost. For general advice see www.seat61.com