Please sign in to post.

Barcelona Itinerary Feedback

Headed to Barcelona for Holy Week in April. We have 7 full days there - I realize that's not a ton of time but this is a somewhat impromptu trip, so we can't dedicate the time we'd normally prefer for a European vacation. I've mapped out three potential itineraries below. I do realize that much of this is not ideal and/or not enough time - we've never been to Spain so we are trying to strike a balance between making the most of this trip, while also enjoying the city(ies) we visit and avoiding a frantic pace.

We are considering removing Tarragona altogether to keep a more leisurely pace. I lean toward option 2 as I think it's the most efficient use of our time, but my husband is concerned we will be jet lagged on 4/12, and could use a day to get our bearings in Barcelona without any set plans on the agenda (we'd probably do walking tour, take in some sights/food, get the lay of the city).

Priorities for Barcelona include: Gaudi sites, Picasso museum, enjoying the local food, Good Friday processions, maybe a food tour if we have time, plus time for just enjoying the city without set plans so we can wander into shops, cafes, etc that interest us.

Option 1:

• Tues 4/12: (arrive 9 am in BCN) BCN
  • Wed 4/13: Day trip to Tarragona, sleep in BCN
  • Thurs 4/14: Overnight to Girona
  • Friday 4/15: Return to BCN after lunch
  • Saturday 4/16: BCN
  • Sunday 4/17: BCN (Easter Sunday - public holiday)
  • Monday 4/18: BCN (Easter Monday - public holiday)

Option 2:

• Tues 4/12: (arrive 9 am in BCN) Train to Girona, sleep in Girona
  • Wed 4/13: Return to BCN after lunch
  • Thurs 4/14: Day trip to Tarragona, sleep in BCN
  • Friday 4/15: BCN

Option 3:

• Tues 4/12: (arrive 9 am in BCN): Train to Madrid
  • Wed 4/13: Madrid
  • Thursday 4/14: Madrid
  • Friday 4/15: Train to BCN in am
Posted by
27111 posts

I prefer Option 1. I don't think Option 2 gives you enough truly usable time in Girona, due to the possibility of sleep-deprivation and jetlag on your arrival day.

However, you could modify Option 2 by spending the first two nights in Girona, returning to Barcelona early on Thursday and skipping the trip to Tarragona. (I haven't been there myself; ancient ruins are not my thing. I chose nine days in Barcelona and none in Tarragona.) Heading to a smaller city like Girona on your arrival day isn't a bad idea. Trains connecting Barcelona and Girona are frequent, and if you're willing to take one of the regular (non-AVE) trains, you won't need to worry about figuring out a safe train-departure time. Those non-reserved trains will be slower, but the best of them take only 70 minutes, vs. 38 minutes for the fast/reserved trains.

Posted by
3904 posts

Agree with Acraven, I would choose either Tarragona or Girona for your 2 day escapade from Barcelona. To put it simply, main difference is Tarragona is a seaside town with more ancient history and Girona is an inland town with more medieval history. I'd personally go with Tarragona, but it's different for each person, know that both cities have pretty good Semana Santa festivities/processions.

Posted by
6502 posts

All I can contribute is that Option 3 gives you not enough time in either big city. Save Madrid for another trip. Or, if you decide to see both in a one-week trip, fly into one and home from the other so you don't have to backtrack.

Posted by
131 posts

I'd make a twist to Option 2.

I think it makes sense to spend the first night in Girona as it is a smaller city to navigate. The pace is definitely slower than Barcelona but you may want to spend the second day there, too. You can return to Barcelona by high speed rail after dinner.

Or you may want to take the high speed rail from Girona to Tarragona without staying in Barcelona.

Are you also interested in the Dali museum in Figueres? It is pretty close to Girona.

Option 2:

Tues 4/12: (arrive 9 am in BCN) Train to Girona, sleep in Girona
Wed 4/13: Return to BCN after lunch --> Train to Tarragona after dinner, sleep in Tarragona
Thurs 4/14: Tarragona, sleep in BCN or Tarragona
Friday 4/15: BCN
Saturday 4/16: BCN
Sunday 4/17: BCN (Easter Sunday - public holiday)
Monday 4/18: BCN (Easter Monday - public holiday)