Please sign in to post.

Barcelona into France

This spring I will be flying into Barcelona - never been there. Plan on spending three nights/two days there, then we will be driving into SW France (near Narbonne). Want to make some of the RS recommended stops on the way. If we made no stops, it would only be a couple hours to our French destination, but I'm thinking it would be fun to stay somewhere along the way and have the time to visit the Dali home and other stops along the way. Has anyone stayed in this area? Another option would be to drive to Montserrat and spend a night in that area, then drive from there to SW France the next day. Thoughts?

Posted by
6773 posts

Cadaqués (Dalí's home is next to it in Port Lligat) is a lovely spot for a stop.
Or, if you have less time, you could visit the Dalí museum in Figueres. It is right off the highway.
Montserrat is out of your way, and barely on the outskirts of Barcelona, so it makes less sense to me in your situation.

Posted by
7595 posts

Do Monserratt on a day trip from Barcelona. Girona, is on your way to Narbonne.

Consider visiting Carcassonne, France as well.

Posted by
53 posts

Would Girona be a fun place to spend a night? Yes, we know France well and have been to Carcassonne. Spain is completely new to us. Perhaps we will hit Montserrat on our drive back to Barcelona (and the airport) from SW France before turning in the car at the end of our trip.

Posted by
92 posts

Ten years ago we followed Rick Steves' instructions to visit Monserrate from Barcelona. We purchased combo tickets from a TI office to Monterrat from Barcelona. Rick Steves' Spain guide will describe in more detail (or search online). From Barcelona’s Plaça d’Espanya station you take an hour long train ride to Montserrat. Exiting, you can ride the cable or rail (depending on the type ticket you purchase) to the top. We chose the cable car.

Posted by
26829 posts

If this is your first trip to Barcelona, I think two days is way too short a stay there. Unless you are massive Dali fans, I'd spend the extra time in Barcelona instead of going to the Dali house in Port Lligat (where I haven't been) or the Theatre-Museum in Figueres (which is fun).

Figueres the town is not one of Spain's most attractive, so it wouldn't be my choice of place to stay unless price is an issue (it's generally a cheap option). Girona has an atmospheric medieval center and would be an excellent stop, though I don't know anything about parking or traffic issues there. Girona's worth more than a few hours, though. Cadaques, the town near Port Lligat, is smaller. It's a picturesque tumble of white cubic houses dripping with bougainvillea. Again, I know nothing about getting there by car except that the road the bus took from Figueres (which I assume you'd need to use, too) is very scenic but also quite curvy for part of the way. The driver will need to keep his or her eyes on the road.

Posted by
412 posts

Girona would be a great place to spend a nite...wonderful medieval streets to wander. Pals, Peratallada and Besalu are all charming pueblos well worth a look.

Brad

Posted by
2922 posts

Are you flying home from Spain? The reason I’m asking is because it will cost quite a bit more to pick up a car in Spain and return it in France.

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks for all of the great advice! Since we will be returning to Barcelona at the end of our stay, I think we’ll stop at Montserrat on the day we drive back to return our car and spend one final night in Barcelona. I truly appreciate the kind advice!