Please sign in to post.

Barcelona In June

I am traveling with a family member to Bacelona this June and it will be the first time both of us will be visiting the beautiful city. This is a special trip and the person I am traveling with does not know where we are going, it’s a surprise and I want it to be amazing. I have the Rick Steve’s book but am a busy working mom and have not been able to get too far. I am Looking for a few things...
1. What tickets for sights should I buy in advance before I leave the states?
2. What is the best and safest form or transportation besides walking? And, what is the best way to get to our accommodation from the airport.
3. I would like to do a food tour while visiting but can’t pin down a good one. Any recommendations?
4. What are the top must see and do’s? We will be there for 3 full days?

Posted by
15591 posts

The metro is very clean, efficient and safe. The only issue with buses is that traffic can be really slow in the city. Taxis are readily available and not expensive.

The only sights I can think of that require tickets in advance are the Gaudi sights and the Palau de la Musica (only by tour). How to get to your rooms from the airport depends on where you're staying. Last time I took the airport bus, cheap and comfortable, then had a short walk to my hotel.

Posted by
1075 posts

You need to buy your tix for Sagrada Familia like, yesterday. June has been on sale for over a month now. (I’ve been stalking the site daily waiting for July to go on sale.)

Posted by
5640 posts

I was in Barcelona in January, and I found I needed to purchase tickets in advance for La Sagrada and the Gaudi sights. In the summer, I would think way in advance. We really liked Casa Mila, Montserrat, La Sagrada, and Park Guell. We also enjoyed walking around the old town by the cathedral, the ramblas and the Barceloneta. Mass transit is easy and clean

Posted by
2455 posts

Hi there kevjen13,
There are a variety of food tours in Barcelona, maybe all good, who knows. When I was there in 2016, I went on a terrific food tour, called Taste Barcelona. at www.taste-barcelona.com. (Please note that this is different than another food tour called Barcelona Taste, easy too confuse.) This tour was longer and more expensive than various others, with a very small group, up to 7 I think, my group was 4, and was excellent. It is called a History and Culture Tour, with food and wine, and is 5 hours long, mid-afternoon to mid-evening, and the current cost appears to be 105 euros pp. It is a culture/history walk through the four main downtown neighborhoods, with a leisurely and excellent food stop in each neighborhood. The food and wine are excellent and plentiful. At least in 2016, this business was operated by a couple, an Australian man married to a Catalan woman. He, Paul, led most of the tours, and did a great job. Reviews are excellent. Enjoy your trip, Larry

Posted by
27176 posts

These are the Barcelona sights for which you need to buy tickets in advance to avoid very time-consuming ticket lines. You don't necessarily need to go to all of them; Barcelona does have other attractions that allow walk-up access. It's difficult to plan an efficient short visit that packs in a lot of buy-in-advance sights, because it's impossible to know how much time you'll need at each place, how long you'll spend getting to the next one, and what you'll want to do about meals.

La Sagrada Familia
Parc Guell
Casa Batllo
Casa Mila/La Pedrera
Picasso Museum (often a total madhouse inside)
Palau de la Musica Catalana (tour required)
Camp Nou soccer experience (sells out very early, I think)

You should definitely pre-book any food tour you want to take as well.

Posted by
3961 posts

Excellent recommendations for three days in Barcelona. In addition, if you are interested in contemporary art, we took the hop on hop off bus that stopped at the Joan Miro Museum. The unexpected surprise from the terrace was the amazing view over the buildings of Barcelona. Probably one of the best views of this grand city.