Please sign in to post.

Barcelona in July

Hello! This forum has offers great suggestions on my prior trips to Europe! I get overloaded with all the possible sites to see! I’ve learned from past trips that I really like having a daily plan, but I only pick a one or two must do for each day. Next Friday I am traveling to Barcelona with my daughter (22j and niece (18j. This will be their first trip overseas, while I have been to 5 European countries. I appreciate all feedback to our draft itinerary!

Fri - 8pm depart US to Frankfurt.. sleep on plane.
Sat - 4pm arrive Barcelona. Metro to lodging in Eixample. Check in, enjoy neighborhood walk, hope girls were able to sleep on plane!
Sun - walk around neighborhood.. Too many to choose from so would like to hear your favorites! Bought tickets to evening Flamenco show at Palau de la Musica Catalán.

Mon - Sagrada Familia - I know I need to book now! Any thoughts on AM or PM tour? Plan to do one of Rick’s walks.
Tues - booked Montserrat/winery tour
Wed - zoo, chocolate museum, beach (maybe Barceloneta?j
Thurs - Girona If not, then aquarium and beach.
Fri - depart 10am for home!

Not enough time! But we plan to return one day!

Girls are interested in day trip to Girona (huge fans Game of Thrones), Aquarium, zoo, Sagrada Familia, Chocolate Museum., beaches

Thanks for your feedback!

Posted by
293 posts

I really enjoyed Girona, but if you're already giving a day to Montserrat, you may want to preserve the rest of your time for Barcelona proper.

In terms of walking around on Sunday, this might be a tough call given that you'll all still be recovering from the flight, but I found early Sunday morning (not crazy early, like 8-ish) a perfect time to wander around the Gothic Quarter. Nothing is open yet and most people are still sleeping or breakfasting. You can actually walk around and see/absorb/take photos with some breathing space!

I went to the Chocolate Museum and it's lighthearted and fun, but there's not a lot to it and it doesn't take long. That's not a criticism. just an FYI. Here is the link to the blog post I wrote about the Chocolate Museum last year https://www.historycoloredglasses.com/2017/07/museu-de-xocolata/.

I'm also a big fan of food tours as they're usually a great way of combining excellent food, restaurant tips for the rest of your trip, and a low-impact but interesting local history. Check out Devour Barcelona's website. They have a bunch of tours, both day and evening, and patronize locally-owned places. I know that I'm not the only fan of them on this forum (and no, I don't work for them or get a discount--I wish!).

Hope this is helpful,
Caroline

Posted by
11161 posts

You do not have time for two day trips, drop Monserrat.
Yes, beach is Barceloneta.

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks for the tips! I bought my tickets today for an evening tour!

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick's walks are good, especially enjoyed the Bari Gottic walk a couple of months ago.

Posted by
3907 posts

Some nice areas/places to walk around and explore:

Vila de Gracia (or simply Gracia) - was its own town before being incorporated into Barcelona, small town vibes, family friendly/ hipster feel.

El Born - "bohemian chic" area with tapas bars and art studios, close to the zoo.

Parque del Laberinto de Horta - 18th-century neoclassical garden on a former palatial estate with a cool English hedge maze.

Tibidabo - the oldest amusement park in Spain built on a hill overlooking the city, stunning views from the top.

Platja del Garraf - my favorite beach near Barcelona, a short 30 min train ride south of Barcelona, you will find only locals at this beach.

Port Olímpic - nice marina and seafront promenade built for the Olympics, popular yet not as crazy as the Barceloneta beach.

Posted by
15585 posts

I went to the chocolate museum - meh, and the chocolate wasn't very good either. If you've been to any chocolate museum you won't learn anything new. I remember lots of reading about the history and production of chocolate and some sculptures. On the other hand, the Marijuana Museum was very interesting in a pretty modernisme building - no free samples however.