Please sign in to post.

Barcelona in January 2022

What type of weather can we expect in Barcelona in mid -January 2022? Please advise on clothing, etc. Also, would the trees have leaves? Would you advise sweaters in museums and restaurants? Thanks.

Posted by
27142 posts

You can find actual, historical, day-by-day weather statistics on the website timeanddate.com. That's where I go to answer questions like this, because I want to know the range of conditions I may run into rather than just averages. It's important to check multiple years, because weather varies a lot.

Barcelona January 2022
Barcelona January 2021
Barcelona January 2020
Barcelona January 2019
Barcelona January 2018

The data goes back to 2010.

It looks as if you definitely will need a warm layer of some sort, and I'd want a waterproof jacket, because being wet when the day's high temperature might be down in the 40s or low 50s would be unpleasant to me. I have no reason to think you'd be cold indoors, but I haven't been to Barcelona/Spain/Europe in January.

Posted by
273 posts

I have been twice in winter February 2002 and January 2020. Both times I had come from France and it was noticably warmer and sunny with highs in the
50s and lows in the 40s. There are leaves on the palm trees. I remember sweating from having too many layers on. As a tourist you do a lot of walking so that keeps you warm. But I am from the Midwest and use to cold winters. It depends on what you are use to, everyone is different. I traveled with two young adults age 17 and 20. The former just had a hoodie on and the latter had a coat on and seemed cold all the time.
I think you mean Barcelona in 2023.

Posted by
15589 posts

I've been to Barcelona 2-3 times in February/March. Palms, evergreens, and citrus trees are green all year round. I believe Barcelona has a mix of trees. Even when the temps are mild, the wind can be cold. In general Europeans heat indoor spaces to lower temps than Americans. Also, there may be cutbacks on heating this year because of the energy woes.