Please sign in to post.

Barcelona Hotel Recommendations

I realize the general question about recommendations has been asked ad nauseam on here. However, my wife and I are travelling to Barcelona for 5 night next May and are looking for something convenient to the sites, in a neighborhood with good restaurants and tapas bars, but aren't interested in the late night club and bar scene. It seems like at or close to the Gothic Quarter is preferrable, but we're both in our 30s and are active, so walking isn't an issue as long as we're close enough to leisurely explore the city instead of having to walk a significant distance to get to anything. I'm looking primarily at three hotels just based on quality, price, and amenities: Hotel Negresco Princess, ICON BCN by Petit Palace, and Hotel Rec. Any recommendations or experiences at these three or are there others that I should consider?

Posted by
951 posts

I have not stayed at the hotels you listed, however, I have a recommendation for a hotel near the Plaza Catalunya and Las Ramblas, one block from the metro and 15 minutes from the Gothic quarter. We stayed last September at Hotel Midmost, a 4-star hotel: https://www.hotelmidmost.com/en. This is a lovely hotel with spacious rooms, a roof top deck with small wading pool, and one of the best hotel breakfasts (all organic and local produce, juices, and freshly made pastries). The service is excellent and we were lucky to get a room with a small garden terrace.

In the Gothic quarter, I have stayed at Grand Hotel Central: https://www.grandhotelcentral.com/. This is a 5-start hotel with a price to match, but you are right across from the Cathedral. They have an amazing rooftop deck with a larger pool, gourmet breakfast and spacious rooms.

If I went back and money was no object, I would still stay at the Midmost. Just liked the vibe, service, rooms.

Have a great trip,
Sandy

Posted by
794 posts

A quick look at your hotels tells me you look to spend more than I did when I was just in Barcelona so I won't suggest a hotel but I will say that the Gothic Quarter is a nightlife hotspot which might not work as well if you're looking for a quieter night scene.

I stayed right by Passeig de Gràcia in Eixample and it was really convenient. It is the junction of both the metro and train so both coming in from the airport and then getting to the SANTS train station worked out well. Also three metro stops from the Gothic Quarter and/or Ramblas if you don't want to walk the 1km to Plaça de Catalunya or back. Also easy 3 stops on the metro to get to Sagrada Familia.

It's kind of an upscale shopping area on the street itself but made for easy connections and while that was my first visit to Barcelona I would stay there again if I was going back.

My $.02,
=Tod

Posted by
7175 posts

Hotel Negresco Princess and ICON BCN by Petit Palace both have the perfect location. After comparing online, I’d choose ICON.