Please sign in to post.

Barcelona hotel

Arriving in Barcelona airport at 9:30 am for a cruise leaving the next day. Looks like taxi to cruise port is reasonable? Will they "stop" at our hotel if it is near cruise port ? Looking for recommendation for hotel near sights that we can do on that day that are not too strenuous (jetlag). Will they store our luggage (2 carry on plus backpack)? What is normal check in time for hotels there? Thx.

Nov 2 Thanks all! Booked a hotel, will probably try the Aerobus. Our costs are adding up (as we expected) but it is a once in a lifetime trip and for our 10th anniversary (first time for both, married at age 47). That's why we work so hard, so why not enjoy? I do like Ricks travel philosophies (have used them years ago) so his hints are great for the budget minded traveler!

Posted by
2707 posts

We stayed at this well located hotel last summer http://cataloniaportaldelangel.barcelonahotels.it. The rest of your question is confusing. Will the taxi stop? The taxi goes where you tell it to go. Most hotels are glad to store bags for folks who arrive early. Check in time? Contact the hotel. It's always afternoon just like in the US.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you! What I meant is that Rick says there is a taxi direct from the airport to the cruise terminal for a set rate. Just wondering if it is cheaper than a taxi direct to the hotel ! Appreciate the referral. Will try that location. Deb

Posted by
2707 posts

No clue on cab fares. Given the overall cost of your vacation probably not material.

Posted by
27163 posts

The Aerobus runs at least every 10 minutes from the airport to Plaça de Catalunya downtown, from which you could get a taxi to your hotel. The bus costs about 6 euros per person.

Posted by
2455 posts

Debra, my own experience and guidance is that if you are arriving after a long flight, with two people, baggage and limited time to see some sites, you should just catch a cab to your hotel, as you exit whatever terminal you are at, rather than mess with handling your bags through multiple modes of transportation, just to save a few euros. Time and energy are have value too!

Posted by
2745 posts

Areobus is great and I would just use it. You might take a cab to your hotel from the drop off depending on where you are staying.

Cab to the port the next day, it's reasonable and easy!

I would not go to Barcelona without seeing Sagarda Familia. If you think you will be too tired on day one book an early ticket the next day and go before you head to the port.

Posted by
10 posts

I took this off a website of a charming 7-8 room hotel, Anakena House, near the University of Barcelona:

Taxis from and to the airport are €30. There is also a special bus service from the airport (Aerobus) stopping at Plaza Universidad for €6.

Where is the nearest metro station from the hostel?
The two nearest metro stations are “Paseo de Gracia” (L2, L3, L4), about a 5 min walk, “Plaza Catalunya” (L1-L3), about a 10 min walk, and “Plaza Universidad”,(L1, L2) about a 10 min walk.

Posted by
2942 posts

1.) Taxis are metered. There's a fare per km depending on the time of the day and the day of the week (weekday vs weekend) and a set of additional charges added (when applicable) to the price in the meter upon arrival to destination. For 2017: http://taxi.amb.cat/documents/956832/1007019/Tarifa+Taxi_2017/23e065d2-2639-4731-a6c4-edbcf7c3df22

2.) There's, however, one instance in which there's a fixed price and that's in the journey airport- port (Moll Adossat*) and vice versa. That's 39€ flat. Note however the city has several ports and marinas and this flat fare is only valid to Moll Adossat, which is where most big cruisers dock, but not all of them, so make sure you know where yours does!

3.) As mentioned, given the overall cost of your vacation taxi fares are probably irrelevant. Having said that, Barcelona taxis are very reasonably priced in comparison to other big cities. As an example, the average cost for a fare airport-city centre (assuming weekday, business hours and normal traffic) is around 30-35€. And a reasonable estimate for a taxi within the city, for most instances, would be under 10€.

4.) Yet depending on where your hotel/apartment is located, there are alternative means to reach the city from the airport, namely bus, metro and train. For example, if near Plaça Catalunya the Aerobus (6€) is a cheaper option; if near Plaça Espanya, both the Aerobus (6€) or regular bus #46 (2.15€, even less with a travel card); if near Casa Batlló, in Passeig de Gràcia, the train (as low as 0.95€ with a T-10 travelcard).... This talking about direct journeys, but you can also transfer at a middle point to reach your destination almost anywhere in the city costing you literally peanuts.