About 6 months ago we realized we had 10 days after Christmas to travel to Europe and had never been to Spain. So, we were able to book a flight to Barcelona - stay for 5 nights and then take the train to Madrid and spend 4 nights there. Now, because of the problems in Barcelona, we're not sure what to do. I realize that a lot can change in 2 months and it's almost impossible to predict the future but it seems to me that these are our options:
1) Be patient and expect the best -- that the situation will greatly improve by the time we travel.
2) Change our plans while we still have enough time to cancel our reservations and find something else.
The big question is: How long do we wait? If we wait too long, we won't have time to make other arrangements and we will end up staying at home. However, if we change too soon we will end up spending a lot of money in cancellation fees and new last minute bookings and miss out on seeing a city we had our hearts set on. (I know Barcelona will always be there and we can go another year, but we had made a lot of plans for it.)
There is no easy answer and I'm sure each of you reading this will look at it a different way. But would you mind sharing your thoughts?
Because of work schedules, we only have a Christmas vacation and summer to take an extended trip like this so we don't want to miss it and end up staying home. (The exact dates we have available for travel are: Leave Dec. 25, Return Jan 5.)
I appreciate your opinions.