Please sign in to post.

Barcelona

We will be ending a cruise in Barcelona, Spain and we are planning on staying in Barcelona for at least 4-5 days. We are looking for recommendations on places to stay, location, things to see, and suggestions on tours and tour companies.
Thanks in advance.... you help is much appreciated.

Posted by
2962 posts

You want to visit the Sagrada Familia meaning you must buy tickets before leaving home to get inside due to the long line. You also want to visit the Picasso Museum. Buy Rick Steves Barcelona guidebook with an updated version available in June (7th edition): https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/barcelona-guidebook.
Barcelona is a city you want to take walking tours Rick Steves designed so you don’t miss anything. Stay in the Bari Gotic neighborhood so you’re fully emerged in Catalunia’s history and rich culture.

Posted by
27142 posts

Rick has his top sightseeing suggestions for many major cities, including Barcelona, on this website.

Barcelona sightseeing < Click on "At a Glance"

If you want to visit any of these sights, you need to buy tickets ahead of time. If you just walk up, empty-handed, you'll almost certainly be in a very, very long ticket line.

La Sagrada Familia
Parc Guell
Casa Mila/La Pedrera
Casa Batllo
Picasso Museum

In addition, the English tours at the Palas de la Musica Catalana can sell out, so that's another ticket to be arranged in advance.

All those tickets will be timed, so you need to give some thought to how much time you might spend at each place, as well as how long it will take you to get there from your previous stop. Barcelona sightseeing tickets are rather expensive. It's a shame to have to rush through something you're enjoying because you're due to be somewhere else soon.

It's smart to take advantage of ever morning you wake up in Barcelona by scheduling one of the tough, reserved-ahead sights first thing in the morning. That will mean less stress from having things scheduled back-to-back.

Posted by
6522 posts

I stayed at this hotel, on a pedestrian street about a block from Plaza Catalunya, a few years ago. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable, with a good breakfast, and very well located for sightseeing. There are many other choices, see what you find in booking.com.

Posted by
427 posts

Yes--take a look at RS recommendations for what to see in Barcelona. We particularly enjoyed Sagrada Familia, Barcelona Cathedral, Cuitadella Park, Montjuic Hill, and a walk through the Barceloneta Beach area.

Posted by
1116 posts

Definitely recommend the Gaudi sights- Sagrada Familia. Casa Battlo, Casa Milla and Parc Guell. I booked my tickets/tours on their specific websites. Palau Musica Catalunya is a beautiful music hall and I booked my ticket on their website as well. Also highly recommend a food tour. I did the Devour Tapas tour- 3 hour walking tour of the Gothic Quarter that includes stopping at 3 different tapas bars and sampling 3-4 dishes in each. It was a fun and satisfying way to spend an evening.

Posted by
242 posts

Highly recommend Hotel Praktik Rambla — excellent location, lovely room, and gracious, helpful staff. Also, loved Recinte Modernista de San Pau — a short walk from Sagrada Familia, gorgeous, uncrowded.