Please sign in to post.

Barcelona beaches

This is my first trip outside my home country. We will be in Barcelona 4 days/nights. I would like to visit the sites in the Gotic area, which seems to be popular. We would also like to spend some time at a beach; any favored areas for beaches, and is there any areas along the coastline that would be best avoided?

Posted by
2259 posts

You are going to have a great time. Barcelona has beaches, so we're you thinking of visiting them, or were you planning to go somewhere else? In Barcelona, just walk down to the water and there they are.
Have you had a chance to look at the Rick Steves's guidebook for Spain or Barcelona? If you have a library handy, you can usually borrow one there.

Posted by
5 posts

I do have Ricks Spain book, it doesn't say much about the Barcelona beaches, rather focuses more on the sites, such as Gotic area, etc. We plan to visit the beach while in Barcelona, and was just wondering if there are any preferred beach areas along the Barcelona stretch. If there's not a lot of difference in the beach areas, we'll probably just plan to walk to the closest beach. (might consider a short bus or train ride (hour or less) to venture up the coastline a bit)

Posted by
1558 posts

Walk to the closest beach and enjoy as this is a great experience.

Posted by
2259 posts

I just realized my answer sounded rather flippant-sorry. I meant for you to look at the RS guidebook for the Gothic area as he doesn't cover the beaches. Are you looking to spend a day at the beach, or just a few hours relaxation? The beaches are easily accessible from most parts of the city, and even walking distance from some ( depending where you are staying). They are wide, sandy beaches with some facilities, restaurants, snack bars, etc.. There is a wide walking path along the beach. They look very nice, but we just walked along them.

You might want to send Enric a PM and ask for his advice. He just answered a post about scheduling for Park Guell, so you can click on his name in that thread. He lives there and has been great about sharing advice.

Posted by
5 posts

thank you Patty, we plan to spend at least 1 beach day, and why I was asking if there were any difference in the beach along the Barcelona coastline. We're staying in the Eixample area so as to see the city centre sites and take in shopping. But also want to take in the mediteranean. I've read of Tossa De Mar being quite nice, and depending on public transportation might consider going up there. But otherwise It does sound like the Barcelona beaches are nice, we'll play it by ear a bit. Thx again for your input.

Posted by
8 posts

hi,

If you are talking about the beaches in Barcelona itself, they are not great beach in my opinon, they are ok if you are a resident or just for a few hours...If you are thinking to spend one day at beach I suggest go outside the city to Sitges or Vilanova i la Geltru, they are easy to reach by train and both villages also are beautiful....

Posted by
414 posts

I spent a month last summer in Barcelona and went to the beaches numerous times. The beach at Barceloneta is probably the easiest to get to and the most popular, but it is also packed all the time. The other beaches farther north along the coast are all pretty similar, but be aware that they are not what we are used to in the US, especially on the east and gulf coasts. The beaches tend to be very narrow and can be very steep going down to the water, not the long wide sandy beaches we are used to. I'm not complaining about them, just stating that you might be surprised when you get there. I agree with the other poster about taking a short train ride down to Sitges, which has lovely beaches and lots of shopping and places to eat right there. It might be more enjoyable as a full day at the beach.

Posted by
5 posts

thanks for the suggestions, will look into those areas (I read a Travel blogger who gushed over Tossa, where that idea came from, but Sitges looks closer to Barcelona for a day trip).

Posted by
9 posts

Hey iamoot, congrats on making your first trip!! I strongly recommend getting out of Barcelona for the beaches. If you have 25 minutes, you can take the train from the main station in Plaza Catalunya (just near the Gotic area) toward Mataro (R1). Get off at the Badalona station and you'll be right at some incredible beaches - much cleaner and less touristy than Barcelonetta.

Alternatively, you can get to Badalona by renting bikes from the lovely Poble Nou neighborhood and heading along the Martime Passage for about 30 minutes.

In addition to nice beaches, Badalona has some great places to eat and shop. It's like a mini-Barcelona, only you'll be surrounded by locals. Just don't tell anyone ;)

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Nicole, I will check into that as well, the bike ride would be fun!