Please sign in to post.

Barcelona

Hello everyone,
We are in Barcelona for two and a half days, before we head to Madrid. Please suggest what all we can visit?

Posted by
6897 posts

Hi,
This very website has a few suggestions : https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/spain/barcelona
2.5 days isn't much so you need to pick the top 3-4 sights you want to see, book tickets when required (Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila are the ones that spring to mind), and allow some time for simply wandering in town (Ramblas, Barrio Gotico, Passeig de Gracia...).

Posted by
15582 posts

Tell us what your interests are and we can make specific recommendations. The problem with Barcelona is that there are just too many places to see and things to do for 2-1/2 weeks, let alone 2-1/2 days :-)

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all! We would like to have the feel of the city, the Spanish culture, its buildings, people. We will definitely go to Sagrada Familia, Guell Park. We are not able to figure out what else to see. Maybe the marketplace. Since the time frame is such, we would like to know what are the top 5 we can visit.

Posted by
27112 posts

There is no such thing as a Top 5 for everyone. It depends greatly on how you prioritize art museums, history museums, modernista architecture, medieval districts, markets, beaches, musical events, etc.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all for all the suggestions, because of which we are now in a better position and we look forward to visiting the city

Posted by
433 posts

Two and a half weeks seems like a long time for a traveler in any city. I was struck by the responses by Chani and Bill. And let's stick with the two-and-half week time period mentioned by Chani. What would you do, and how would you fill so many days?

Posted by
27112 posts

I spent 9 days in Barcelona in 2016, not including day-trips. There are a bunch of day-trip possibilities, though on a long trIp I think many of them are better made from a base in Girona from a purely geographical standpoint. Sitges and Montserrat are better from Barcelona, in any case.

I spent a lot of time chasing modernista sites; I went inside all the accessible ones I knew about and walked past many that were not open to the public. I went to six art museums and two churches; there were more good options in those categories but I ran out of time. I walked through several neighborhoods but would have enjoyed doing more of that. I took time for only a few restaurant meals and didn't have the time/energy for evening performances of any kind. At Parc Guell I saw only the monumental zone. I do not do beaches and I did very little shopping. I took only a few random photos.

So, yes, I could have filled 2-1/2 weeks without difficulty, even without going to the beach.

Posted by
1203 posts

I can understand spending two and half weeks in Barcelona. It is like any major city, there is so much to do and see. You can spend 2 and half weeks in Rome, London and Paris and not see it all. And that is not including day trips outside each of the cities which there are places to go for a day outside these wonderful cities. It is on my list to visit Spain and see Barcelona.

Get the RS Spain or Barcelona book and read up on what interests you and also watch the free YouTube videos on this city.

Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
2942 posts

@Richard, I wouldn't know where to start... and where to end for that matter. In cities with such vibrancy, culturally and socially, as Barcelona, Paris, NY... you could spend a whole month or more doing different activities morning, afternoon and evening and you wouldn't have to repeat any. We have migrants and expats living in Barcelona that keep discovering new "stuff" all the time. It all boils down to your interests and your level of energy.

Hello,

I am in Barcelona right now, and we are planning to go to some traditional restaurant and eat tapas. Can you recommend some good place? We would like also to enjoy a Flamenco show in Barcelona if you can recommend us also some place like that it would be a plus for us. We have a week to enjoy this wonderful city.

Thanksss very much :)