Please sign in to post.

Barcelona August 22-25

It has been some time since I last posted regarding our visit to Barcelona next month. We were on a Baltic cruise earlier this year, and are now specifically focused on the August visit to Barcelona. Our plans are more firm than before; we now have a hotel and reservations for the Dali Museum and for the Recinte Modernista de Sant. The responses to my earlier questions were fantastic, so I’m going to inquire about a few more items—all questions now concern 3 days and nights in Barcelona.

We will arrive on Tuesday morning August 22 (unfortunately just missing the Festes de Gràcia). We will be staying at the NH Costenza hotel (east of the Maria Cristina Metro Station L3 on the south side of the Avinguda Diagonal). We’ll use the Metro and trams for nearly all travel in the city. Below is a tentative itinerary. I’d like a review of the schedule and confirm if it is doable. We’ll have dinner later in the evening and will see whatever I note on the itinerary after dinner (or in some cases before) lluminated at night.

August 22 Tuesday

• 8:00 hr. Disembark ship drop luggage at hotel
  • Purchase Barcelona Card
  • Metro L3 and L1 to Universitat
  • Visit CCCB MACBA
  • 14:00 hr. Lunch at la Boqueria
  • 15:00 hr. English Tour Palau de la Musica
  • Metro L4 to Baraceloneta
  • Port Vell Aerial Tram to Miramar station
  • Funicular to Montjuïc
  • Beverage and snack
  • Visit Fundació Juan Miró
  • Dinner (Montjuïc ?)
  • Font màgica de Montjuïc
  • Metro L3 back to hotel

August 23 Wednesday

• Metro L3 to Sants Station
  • High SpeedTrain 34253 (?) to Figueres-Vilafant (7:35-8:30)
  • Bus to Dali Museum
  • Visit Dali Museum (Reservation 9:00 hr)
  • Bus to Cadaques
  • Lunch
  • Visit Dali House (Reservation 15:10 hr)
  • Taxi (?) to Cadaques Bus stop
  • Bus to Figueres
  • Train Figueres to Barcelona 34212 (19:55-20:48)
  • Metro L4 to Alfons for Dinner
  • Night Bus 24 (?) to Parc Guell
  • Taxi back to hotel (?)

August 24 Thursday

• Metro L3 + L5 to Hostpital de Sant Pau
  • Visit Recinte Modernista de Sant Pau 10:00 hr. (Pre purchased tickets)
  • Metro L5 + L3 to Espanya
  • R5 train from Place d/Espanya to Montserrat
  • Aeri Cable Car
  • Lunch at Montserrat
  • Funicular of Sant Joan
  • Train Back to Barcelona
  • Metro and Tram past Contemporary Architecture Landmarks
  • Dinner Los Caracolas (? Recommended by UK traveler)
  • Metro L3 back to hotel

August 25 Friday

• Train to Airport
Posted by
27170 posts

I take it that you are young; it doesn't appear that you will have time to get much sleep. But I guess for 3 days, you can run on adrenaline!

I don't think the fountains at Montjuic are illuminated on Tuesday night.

I don't think there are any restaurants in Montjuic. Perhaps Enric can suggest where you might head to squeeze in dinner if I'm wrong about the fountains.

I believe the Montserrat ticket requires that you use either the funicular or the aerial cable car in both directions.

I'd suggest walking in the Eixample rather than trying to see the modernista architecture (if that's what you mean) by public transportation.

I haven't verified the Metro lines you plan to take.

Posted by
7175 posts

I'm sorry to say that your planning is far too ambitious, virtually a physical impossibility in some respects. Have you been to Barcelona before? With Sagrada Familia a notable omission I will take it that you have.

Let's look realistically at Tuesday 22.
•Check in/drop bags at hotel.
•Metro L3 from Les Corts to Drassanes.
•Walk the Ramblas from Colon to Plaza Catalunya, visiting Placa Real, and lunching at La Boqueria Markets. (Forget MACBA & CCCB)
•Guided tour of Palau de la Musica Catalana.
•Walk thru El Born, visiting Basilica Santa Maria del Mar
•Finish the day in Parc de la Ciutadella & Barceloneta.
(The Miro Foundation on Montjuic closes at 8pm. You would want to be there around 6pm, which I think would be a real struggle).

Posted by
768 posts

Thanks to acraven and dip_syd for the helpful remarks. Tanks particularly for the heads up on the fountain not being in operation on a Tuesday night. Re August 22: We're ok with omitting the CCCB and the MACBA but we'll stroll through the area to see the Richard Meier building. We may move our visit to the Palau de la Musica forward to 13:00 (there's supposed to be an English tour at that time). Perhaps this will allow us to arrive at Montjuïc earlier and visit the Fundació Juan Miró and the Mies Pavilion. If we could spend a half hour inside then Pavilion (before 20:00 hr) and walk around the exterior before the sun goes down we'd be happy. We'd like to see the Torre Agbar at night and some of the other contemporary architecture in the vicinity and take the T5/T6 down the Diagonal to the Forum area before heading back to the hotel.

Any thoughts on the 23rd or 24th?