Please sign in to post.

Barcelona and Madrid

Doing a RS best of Andalusia tour in mid-Sept. then 4-6 days in Madrid and 4-6 in Barcelona.
We like to walk and do public transit. Interests include history, art, food and music. Any suggestions on areas of the cities to lodge and any to avoid? Like to do Airbnb’s near public transit.

Posted by
10344 posts

Is this a first trip to Madrid and Barcelona?

Posted by
10344 posts

You mention an interest in art. When in Madrid, the obvious art museums would be:
The Prado
Thyssen (not the full name)
Reina Sofia

Posted by
1603 posts

In Madrid, I would stay near the Prado. The Reina Sofia and Thyssen are nearby.

In Barcelona, the Eixample is a nice neighborhood. That’s where we stayed, and we walked to many sites.

Posted by
65 posts

Yes, it’s our first trip to Spain.

Posted by
5581 posts

I really liked the Puerta del Sol area of Madrid. I stayed within 100 yards or so of the metro/train at Hotel Europa. I was really only in Madrid for a couple days and used one for a day trip to Segovia (highly recommend) and I found the location convenient for easy access to the train to most places. It was also within walking distance of many sites. By the way, I looked at the tour itinerary and it doesn't include Toledo (which isn't surprising since its not in Andalusia), it is an amazing city just a 1/2 hour from Madrid. I stayed two nights and would always suggest people do stay over night, but a day trip is better than nothing.

In Barcelona, I stayed a few blocks off of Placa de Catalunya which was super convenient to the airport (direct bus) and again within walking distance of many of the sites and by a metro stop. Highly recommend a day trip to Montserrat