Please sign in to post.

Barcelona 1 day

Hello,
I love this forum you have been very helpful.

I am traveling with 2 (80 yr olds) 2 kids under 10 and my husband and I . We lad in Barcelona 1:30pm. We would like to have a car service pick us up. My father wants (someone with our name on a sign) to ease some travel stress. How do I find someone reliable to do this for 6 people. The service would take us to the hotel.

Any suggestions for family of 4 to do on 1st afternoon/evening in Barcelona after long travel.

All 6: Tour Barcelona day 2 (need to board ship by 3:30pm)
I found a tour company called barcelona day tours Anna contact. Have you heard of them?

Thank you so much for you help!

Posted by
27110 posts

I am a walking zombie on my arrival day. You have a group of 6; my bet is that at least 3 of them will be equally dead. I would not spend one penny on a pre-booked activity for Day 1. I'd plan to walk around the Barri Gotic if you want to see some of the oldest architecture in the city or the Eixample if you want to see some of the modernista highlights.

Posted by
3245 posts

Email your hotel to get a referral for a car service.

You don't say where you're flying from, but a transatlantic flight always leaves me mentally and physically exhausted. I wouldn't do much beyond exploring the neighborhood around the hotel and finding a good place for an early dinner.

We used this company for 3 day-trips, but they also offer half-day city tours.

https://spanish-trails.com/barcelona-tours/

Posted by
1075 posts

I was in your situation this summer. Have you ever traveled internationally before and/or taken an overnight flight? If not, you don't know how you will do, or how your kids will do. This summer, 3 of the 4 of us (myself, DH, and 11 yo) did not sleep a wink to Barcelona. My 8 yo got about 3 hours. When we landed in Barcelona, it took about 90 minutes to get through customs. We took taxis to our hotel - it was very easy finding the taxi line. I would get two taxis - one with you and the kids, one with spouse and the 80-yos. Have slips of paper pre-printed with the hotel addresses on them to hand to the driver in case s/he does not speak English. To me, finding the taxi stand is much easier than searching for one specific person who may or may not be holding up your name on a sign. The taxis are plentiful and well-regulated and take credit cards.

Regarding things to do, you may (MAY) have the energy to walk around a bit that afternoon but I wouldn't make any firm plans given the ages of 4 of your traveling companions. The morning of the cruise, I recommend making reservations to Sagrada Familia (book 3 months out, as soon as the dates open - it sells out quickly) for their first tour (9 am). After that, taxi back to your hotel, pick up your luggage, and head to the ship. Given the size of your travel party 2 taxis will be much easier and about the same cost (or cheaper) than using the bus or metro systems. Plus navigating the subway with two kids and two elderly companions could be difficult.

What part of town are you staying in? We can provide suggestions for things to do that first evening if we know what landmarks you are staying near.

Posted by
1075 posts

Also, there aren't a whole lot of cruisers on the RS board, so you may want to read the boards on Cruise Critic, etc. There are also some great message boards out there just for Disney Cruisers or RCL Cruisers, too. You can read a trip report I wrote here about my Med cruise that originated in Barcelona to get a feel for what we did in our evening and morning before the cruise.