Please sign in to post.

Barcelona

I'm trying to plan my trip to Barcelona and have been looking at hotels. I've got quite a few options but am unsure what area to stay in. My two areas of choice are Eixample or the Gothic Quarter. We will be seeing the main sights and as long as there is a metro stop close by to my hotel I am good with either. Is one better than the other?

Thank you.

Posted by
6733 posts

Depends on your tastes and preferences. Do you want to be right in the center of everything, at the touristic "ground zero" of all the action? Being there comes with some noise (I have indelible memories of trying - and failing - to sleep in my charming B&B in the center of the Gothic Quarter...there was the normal street noise that only abated slightly for a few hours overnight, but the drunk who kept screaming all night long never quit...).

Personally, I like being close to the attractions and all the action, but not necessarily completely surrounded by it all, and I value quiet during quiet hours. You can find some of that in either of the two neighborhoods you mention, but you will want to investigate exactly how far from all the action your window would be (probably easier to find more quiet corners in Eixample).

Posted by
2417 posts

If you're familiar with Mexico City, the Eixample would be more like staying in the Polanco; I'd prefer the Gothic Quarter. But as you say so long as you're close to transit stops you'll be fine.

Posted by
28 posts

We stayed in the Gothic Quarter at the Hotel Colon last year and were very pleased. The location could not be better: it is right across the square from the Gothic Cathedral. Room was quite nice, price was fair, breakfast was excellent, and location could not be better. BTW, we discovered Bar Canete over near the Central Market and went back three times. I'd suggest going for a long lunch when you can get in without a reservation; I hear dinners are impossible.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you. My sister also stayed at the Hotel Colon so I'm looking into that. And thanks for the restaurant suggestion!

Posted by
94 posts

I was looking for the cheapest option possible and found Hostel New York in the Gothic quarter. It's done fine by us, but I always bring ear plugs when I travel. The neighborhood is quite lively in the evenings!
It is not fancy, cute, or chic, it is bare bones but clean and secure. Depending on your budget and your standards for mattresses, it's a good find.