Please sign in to post.

Andalusia with Family - Week in May end 2022

Hello from Chicago,
I read a couple of threads with questions similar to mine. I still need guidance and inputs on below. Any help is appreciated.
--Visiting Andalusia region around 23rd May for a week with husband and 2 kids (9 and 5). Below is the rough outline of days & places to visit in South Spain.
1. 2 nights in Cordoba
--> Train trip from Madrid Cordoba
--> explore near by White Villages
2. To Malaga for 3 nights (from Cordoba)
--> sight seeing
--> Beach day
--> Thinking of Day trip to Gibraltar. (1) Is it worth with kids and considering COVID? (2) If is, does car rental make it more flexible or convenient instead of an organized tour? Because we are thinking about visiting Gibraltar, we planned for 3 nights in Malaga
3. To Seville for 2 nights (from Malaga)
End the trip in Seville and off to Madrid.
Whether to rent a car is something we need to consider --> 1 idea is to rent a car once in Cordoba so we can explore Rhonda and near by White Villages. We may not use car all the time like when in Seville or Malaga but it might come in handy to reach these places or even visit Gibraltar? instead of train travel. We return the car in Cordoba on our way back from Seville. Finish up remainder of journey by Train to reach Madrid. Another is to forget about the car rental as we are in an International country and trains are more convenient so we see the city centers on foot and do Day trips via organized tour.
Thanks

Posted by
4326 posts
  1. You do realize it is a two hour drive from Cordoba to Ronda? There are certainly places you could visit with the car from Cordoba, but with only one full day there, I would not find that necessary or a wise use of time.
  2. I am 100% a beach person, and I often put seaside time in my vacations, but the beaches in this area are really nothing to write home about, and you have really limited time. I would consider putting more time in Sevilla for sure, but perhaps you could do a white town stopover since you were interested in that. I have never read anything good about the Gibraltar day trip. To summarize, add more time to Sevilla, consider a small town instead of Malaga/beach, and you need no car for this itinerary unless you choose a white town with no train or bus service.

Andalucia is a breeze without a car--not everywhere is, so take advantage of it! The main towns of Andalucia are quite stunning, and I think you would really enjoy having more time. Malaga is a pleasant town, but it is not one of the highlights.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you @valadelphia for the suggestions and inputs. We added more days in Malaga mainly because of Gibraltar. Based on your feedback, we will add more days in Seville and do more Train travel; stay car free! Thanks that helps!

Posted by
27062 posts

The train is amazingly fast from Madrid to Cordoba to Seville--about twice as fast as a car. It is also amazingly fast from Madrid to Cordoba to Malaga. When traveling between Seville and Malaga, both buses and trains are a bit slower than driving, but it's a matter of minutes rather than hours.

There is tons to see in Seville. I'd plan 4 nights there.

I did enjoy Malaga, but Cordoba and Seville are more special. I don't feel you have time for Granada, and it is certainly a bigger attraction than Malaga or Gibraltar. If I were going to squeeze another place in (which I do not recommend), it would be Granada rather than Malaga/Gibraltar.

Posted by
1520 posts

Totally agree with Acraven to skip Malaga and also recommend skipping the rock (I am jaded, but it is only a tall rock). Stick with train travel mode as more fun for travel for family and an excellent experience. Book online now for better pricing. Use The man in Seat 61 to learn a great deal about. this subject.
https://www.seat61.com
How many nights are you spending in Madrid?
Picnics are a great investment in spending family time, easy to create and easy on the pocketbook. Parks are plentiful. Use google maps to pre-plan available public restrooms.
https://www.elcorteingles.com/#
El Corte Ingles is the Spanish = to American department store with restroom on top floor by customer service. Some offer a grocery market in their basement (picnic supplies). All offer AC to dash into for heat relief.
Keep the family hydrated!
Suggest checking out apartment rental for additional space and having a kitchen.
If hotel is a must then invest in one with a swimming pool. Nice to have a place to cool the bones and kids.
Consider an itinerary inclusive of only Madrid and Seville. Yep, I am crazy, but probability of creating wonderful journey memories with young families involves minimizing travel stress for all ages. Both locales offer a large menu of interesting places to experience. Please resist temptation of "seeing" more destinations vs "experiencing" a few destinations.
BTW: invest in taking food risks by purchasing tapas to try what you may not visually understand. A $5 dollar investment in a small plate may taste incredibly good or create a family memory of "yuck", either will create great memories.
Enjoy!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you Acraven and Marbleskies for the suggessions.
Reshuffling the plan --> dropping Malaga and Gibraltar. Adding 3 days in Seville. Still deciding whether to do Day Trip from Seville to White Villages or stay a Day in one of them. Another Day trip to consider would be to a Mediterranean Beach - but based on feedback thinking of eliminating beach stop completely. That would open up Granada for example.
Revised Plan:
1. Madrid to Seville -- Day 0 reach by evening
--> Enjoy Seville sights for 2 full days
--> Day 1 + Day 2
2. Day 3
--> Seville Day Trip to White Villages ?
--> OR Leave Seville and stay at one of the White Villages
3. Day 4
--> Seville Day Trip to Granada or a Beach town
-> OR Leave Seville & stay at either location.
In summary, trying to determine if we should do Day trips are we enjoy Seville sights or do hotel / town hopping.

Posted by
1520 posts

Day trip to beach or Granada is simply not feasible as too much time in transit and not enough time at destination (especially Granada). Ronda is a good overnight experience if you MUST add to the itinerary, but I would head to Cadiz for a wonderful Med Sea visit.