Please sign in to post.

Andalusia Itinerary for Feb 2024

Hello:
Our family of three is flying in for a week in Andalusia in late February. We live in the Baltics, so we are flying direct to Malaga. My plan is to rent a car for the week at Malaga Airport. Then we either drive to Seville and do a nice circle starting in Seville for 3-4 days, then Cordoba, and then Grenada and environs. Finally head back to Malaga for the flight home. Does anyone have some suggestions about this plan or days to spend in each city as a base point? Should we just day trip to Cordoba from Seville? Alternatively, should we first start in Grenada after flying in to Malaga? (Based on recs, we don't plan on speding time in Malaga). Also any suggestions for Feb travel/what to expect? Thanks!

Posted by
2369 posts

Should we just day trip to Cordoba from Seville?

Yes, I think so, since you only have a week. It's quick and easy by train.

Posted by
254 posts

I did a similar trip in January 2018. Flew into Granada and spent 3 nights, then took the train to Cordoba for 2 nights and then the train to Seville for 4 nights and flew out of Seville.

With a week and a car, I would do 3 nights in Seville and one night in Cordoba and then 3 nights in Granada. I would spend more time than just a day trip in Cordoba.

Posted by
4116 posts

Strictly a matter of preference but I would think flight times might affect your choice. If you arrive early enough, you could drive on to Seville and start there. And if your return flight is late enough, you could head to the airport from Granada.

Do you have 6 nights or 7 nights? And do you want to move quickly or more slowly? Those questions would determine whether or not I myself chose an overnight in Cordoba. Or not. I might still choose 4 nights Seville and 3 nights Granada regardless.

Posted by
27138 posts

Seville is larger than Cordoba and Granada, and it takes substantially longer to see Seville's sites. Four nights would be the minimum in Seville for me, but as already noted, it matters whether you have 6 nights or seven nights in Spain. I'd be pretty uncomfortable not spending the last night in Malaga if you're flying home from there, but perhaps your return flight is quite late in the day and you consider staying elsewhere your last night not very risky.

Although Malaga isn't Seville/Cordoba/Granada, it's an attractive place. If you had a bit more time, a lot of us would be saying Malaga's worth a day or two. As it is, spending significant time there would require painful cuts in Andalucia's top sightseeing destinations.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks everyone for the responses; all were really helpful in deciding how long to spend in each city. We are spending 7 nights and our flight home is at 1pm on a Sunday. We would have to return our rental. If we spend our last night in Grenada does the 1pm flight time out of Malaga sound doable?

Thank you!

Posted by
1613 posts

Because your flight home is at 1PM, I would stay in Malaga on your last night. Otherwise, I really think you are cutting it too close especially since you have to return the rental car.

For your itinerary, I would do the following:
Seville - 3 nights (4 is better but you really don't have the time for 4 nights)
Cordoba - 1 night (you will enjoy and appreciate Cordoba more by spending at least 1 night here)
Granada - 2 nights (We spent 2 nights in Granada, and while a 3rd night would be nice, I don't think it is absolutely necessary.)
Malaga - 1 night (you can wander around Malaga in the evening which is a lovely city)