Please sign in to post.

Andalusia itinerary

We have 4 people flying into Madrid and will take a train to Seville. We have 5 nights in Seville and are planning day trips to Cordoba and Cadiz/Jerez with a rented car. From there we drive to Malaga with a stop in Ronda. 3 nights in Malaga to include a day trip to Granada. From Malaga we will take a train or fly to Madrid for our last 4 nights. While in Madrid we will take a day trip to Toledo.
Is this too much or are we missing things along the way? We are definitely flying in and out of Madrid but can make changes to the rest of the itinerary. We are also considering a day trip to Tangier from Malaga or Seville. Also, are there National Parks near Seville that would make a good day trip out of the city?

Posted by
2768 posts

5 nights in Seville, with the given day trips, is good.

I'd reconsider Granada as a day trip from Malaga - the Alhambra takes much of the day, leaving little to no time for the other parts of the city. Missing wandering the Albayzin is a shame. If you can swing 1-2 nights in Granada before Malaga, I'd do it.

Tangier is controversial - some find it worth it, some not. I'm inclined no - it takes too much time from Seville or Malaga. If you could spare a night in Tarifa then maybe. But look into it and make your own call. Compute timing and logistics carefully - what time you have to leave to get to the ferry, how to get there, when it returns, how long you actually have in tangier, how and when to get back.

Posted by
7175 posts

Cordoba, Jerez, Cadiz all have frequent fast trains from Sevilla - city centre to city centre - no need to get a car.

After Seville with a rented car...
Day #1 - Drive via Ronda to Malaga - 1 night
Day #2 - Drive via Nerja to Granada - 2 nights (return car)
Day #3 - Full day for Cathedral, Albaicin, Alhambra (BOOK)
Day #4 - Train to Madrid

Oh, and I'm in the 'no' camp also for a day to Tangier.

Posted by
114 posts

I am going to Sevilla in March and am planning on taking day trips to Tangier and Doñana National Park. I would rather see a place briefly, then not at all. Since we plan to use only public transportation, we are planning on taking both trips through tour companies. I feel like going to Tangier with a tour will help simplify things and maximize the amount of time we have.

Posted by
15585 posts

Do not use a car for those day trips from Sevilla. The train is faster and more comfortable and you won't waste time looking for paid parking. I would take a car on leaving Sevilla, stay a night or 2 in Ronda, then a night in Granada and return the car in Malaga. You could also day trip to Arcos from Sevilla - take the train to Jerez and then a bus to Arcos. It's simple, because there are frequent trains and buses, and the bus terminal is next to the train station.