Please sign in to post.

Andalusia April 2022… Logistical Recommendations?

Going on 2 year delayed honeymoon (thanks COVID) April 1-12 and I don’t know if this logistically makes sense but it’s my first time in Spain and I’d like some critiquing because it seems most people do this route the opposite way. Sooooo we fly into Madrid from US early April 1… Madrid 2 nights until the 3rd then catching the train straight down to Granada until the 6th. Then I want to rent a car (hubby and I have always done this in Europe and I like the little road trips) and drive to Seville but taking our time maybe stopping at Ronda on the way or another cute town and just enjoying the scenery. Then we drop rental car off in Seville like on the 7th stay in Seville until April 11 where we then either fly or train back to Madrid for our flight back home the 12th. Doable? I’ve seen lots of people advise against rental cars but to me the rental car makes sense? I don’t think one can easily train Granada to Ronda to Seville. It’s also important that we do the cities in the order I have them as we will be able to hit the cities with more nightlife on weekends (plus hubby wants to catch a football game in Granada 3 April)

Posted by
288 posts

We had a car in our trip in andalusia. We did the exact thing. Driving granada to ronda to Seville. Roads were fine outside the city centers. Park your car on the edge in a garage and walk around ronda. The hardest ting about driving were small Spanish parking garages.

Posted by
6532 posts

What you have will work, however, your driving day will be just that, 4-5 hours of driving not counting entering and leaving cities, wrong turns, and finding parking or rental car returns. I’m not certain of your route Granada - Ronda - Sevilla, but once off the main interstate type roads you’ll be driving at 70kph/42mph most of the time. Without changing your itinerary I’d add a night in Ronda. Your drive would be shorter each day and you’d be able to enjoy Ronda and its bridge in the evening. The following day you could continue on to Sevilla and have time to enjoy either Setenil de las Bodegas, Arcos de la Frontera, or another small town, depending on which route to take to Sevilla.

In Ronda, there is a public lot (parking El Castillo) that isn’t all garage. Its entrance if off a small plaza off the man road through town. Look it up and plug it into a GPS or save it to Google maps. There may be others, but that’s the one we used last time we were there.

Posted by
2768 posts

Perfectly reasonable. A car is very helpful in this area. The driving is easy, except for right inside the old part of the towns, where extremely narrow streets and one way mazes are common. Parking just outside the center/old town solves that problem.

Posted by
1527 posts

Absolutely doable and quite enjoyable. We have done this trip using train and car rental. Some thoughts....
Obtain an international drivers permit at your AAA, required in Spain. Cost about $20 and a passport type photo.
Start tracking train fares online as advanced purchase saves a bunch of money. You will need to decide upon a specific time and stick to it as fares are non-exchangeable or refundable. Waiting till last minute = most expensive fares. BTW, the Madrid train station is an absolute hidden delight and worth exploring, consider arriving an hour early solely for this purpose. The high speed AVE is a great experience, no need for high class tickets as the whole train is essentially a business class experience.
Pack light, as in each person using only a carry on suitcase. Makes a huge difference for reducing travel stress in terms of moving around airports, train stations and car travel.
Granada, MUST BOOK ONLINE tickets to Alhambra entry TODAY!!!!!!!! This place books out six months in advance. PLEASE DO SO IMMEDIATELY! Yep, I am shouting.
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps/Map-Spain
above link is a great tool to plot your car travel. TIP: bring a cheap single BLACK bed sheet and use it to cover any exposed luggage while you are away from your vehicle and exploring (even if you have a hatchback).
Drop the car just outside of Seville as driving into the city does not make any sense. Cab or Uber to your old town hotel location. Upon arriving to the historic area you will thank me for this tip.
Easy to fly from Seville to Madrid, but if you choose the train then remember to repurchase tickets. If you train back then consider a stop at Cordoba for a couple of hours visit. There is a place to store luggage near the train station.
Driving is easy and comparable to USA. Viamichelin, Googe maps street view and a few other online tools all help make the experience easier. NOTE: if you get ticketed for not having the IDP the fine is immediate and payable in cash. Be wise.
FYI: you can train/bus from Granada to Seville with relative ease and expense (cheaper than car rental).
Enjoy!

Posted by
2948 posts

There is a nonstop flight departing Madrid at 11:50 AM arriving in Granada at 1p on Iberia ($35).

Posted by
695 posts

Regarding the soccer match:
Someone with more soccer knowledge than I have can correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that La Liga schedules are published well in advance with only a tentative date that just indicates who is playing whom that weekend and where. The actual dates and times are set about a month in advance. So a match that right now says April 3 could actually be played any time that weekend, Friday thru Monday.
Just a warning that if you plan your trip to arrive April 3, you might find out in March that the match actually takes place April 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4).

Posted by
361 posts

Take a photo with your phone of the parking garage to show your taxi cab driver when you want to return to your car. Train from Madrid -Granada-Seville-Madrid is simple and easy. I would not rent a car just for a one day side trip out in country. That is a huge expense for a day and counting the time to pick up drop off, yikes. Renting a car in the south of Spain and driving around is easy. However I would only rent a car if staying out in the country for several nights. J

Posted by
26 posts

Hi sounds like a fun trip my wife and I were just in Andalucia for two weeks after Christmas and we decided to rent a car and it was totally worth it we spent the first days in Sevilla we flew in there then picked the car up at the Sevilla airport and drove to Ronda we took our time stopped in Zahara and then drove to Cordoba and stopped in Setenil, then returned the car in Granada at the airport. I stayed out of the city centers with the car and parked at garages and parking lots on the outside of the town. Roads in ad Andalucia are great the freeways were fast and easy to use but the smaller roads in the mountains of the white hill towns were a joy to drive. It was a great way to see areas that would have been hard to access with a bus or train. Totally recommend the car