Please sign in to post.

Andalucia Trip

Hi,

We are in the early stages of planning a trip for next summer to Andalucia. We plan on 15 days, which doesn't include two travel days. We will not be back to Spain anytime soon and would like to do as much as we can, within reason, which we know varies from person to person. How does this look for an itinerary? We know it will be hot; hoping the beach and seeking accommodations with pools will help with that!

Fly into Madrid from Boston, train to Cordoba, 2 nights Cordoba
Train to Sevilla, 4 nights Sevilla
Rent car in Sevilla, drive to Conil, 3 nights Conil (not totally sold on Conil, but from what we have seen online, it looks nice)
Drive to Grazelema via Zahara, 2 nights Grazalema
Drive to Granada, drop off car, 3 nights Granada
Train to Madrid, one night Madrid, fly home next day (we know we really won't have time for much beyond dinner and a nice walk in Madrid, but we wanted the focus to be Andalucia, which we have fallen in love with in researching this trip).

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. :)

Posted by
27217 posts

Must this trip be to Andalucia in the summer? It's likely to be extremely hot. Seville's average high temperature is over 100F for both July and August. Thst's the average high, not the record high. That sort of heat is really draining.

Posted by
3 posts

Yes. We are both teachers and can't do a trip of this type at any other time of year, unfortunately.

Posted by
3 posts

Hmm, somehow I don't see us on motercycles, lol! I know it will be hot. I guess I was just wondering if I have allotted enough time to each area of region (cities, beach, white villages). I am hoping that by having hotels with pools, we can cool off enough in the hottest part of the day to revitalize for the evening. I am in my early 40's and my husband is in his mid 40's, and we are in good shape.

Posted by
15602 posts

Just in case you aren't geography teachers . . . Andalucia is west of the prime meridian but follows central European time. Today, for example, sunrise was at 7.11, sunset will be at 21.46, and solar noon is at 14.29. There isn't much difference between temps at noon and at 7-8 pm, just that the sun isn't as bright. I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling is that the earlier in the summer you go, the lower the temps are likely to be.

Have you considered Cadiz instead of Conil? I haven't been to Conil, and maybe with a car you'll be able to drive to less populous beaches. Here are the benefits of Cadiz - some interesting tourist sights, lots of history, beaches, and you won't need a car. You can take the train from Sevilla to Cadiz. And you have the option to day trip from Cadiz to Jerez, see the horse show at the Royal Equestrian School and tour a couple of sherry bodegas. You could also day trip to Arcos by taking the bus from Jerez. Then you'd only need the car for the pueblos blancos.

Other than those suggestions, I think your plan is a good one.

Posted by
404 posts

I was just in Andalucia this summer, and am also a teacher, so I know about your schedule limitations!! I would advise going as early as you possibly can. I was there the second week of June and it was 90-100 the entire time. It got to 104 in Sevilla. If you can go in May, do it. You'll be glad you did.

Posted by
6615 posts

I'll ditto the hot aspect of the other comments, but if summer is when you have free, don't let the heat stop you. I think you have one too many nights in Granada. Grazalema is small, so I'm not certain what you plan to do there for 3 nights. Consider only 2 nights there. Driving most of the white towns can be done in a day since they are small and don't have much to offer other than some views. I'll assume that some of your time will be spent in Arcos de la Frontera and Ronda. I've never been to Conil, but I do know that Cadiz is only worth an afternoon; one night at most. Many people also like Nerja. I've been told the caves there are very nice. With the freed up Granada and Grazalema night, maybe 2 nights in Nerja. Choices, choices. So many great places to visit and so little time. No matter what you decide, you'll have a great trip.

Posted by
844 posts

I can't help you with your question because I haven't been to southern Spain for many years, but I also want to caution you about the heat. It was 116 F in Cordaba yesterday. I was in Galicia and it was delightful. Today it will be in the low 70s in Galicia. I recommend choosing an itinerary where the summer temperatures are more pleasant than what you will see in Andalusia.

Posted by
107 posts

Rent a small car to navigate the city streets, use Waze instead of google maps. Cadiz has beautiful beaches. Make sure you have an international driver's permit, just in case you are stopped. Maybe fit in Malaga by dropping a night in Sevilla. Check through the forum and it will help you gather more information. We were there last month in June and yes it was 104 and the heat of the day is 5pm because the sun does not go down until 9:47pm and then you have dinner and it was all fabulous!!! Not to say the heat would bother some but not us. We made sandwiches and a bottle of wine and went to beach and watch the sunset- does not get better than that!

Posted by
313 posts

I would drop one night from Granada and add it to Madrid. Also as a FYI, Granada and Sevilla have airports. Maybe fly home from there and not back track to Madrid.. Just a thought.