Please sign in to post.

All you need to know about high speed trains in Spain in 2023 (video)

Hi all, came across this very interesting recent video from English youtube channel called Spain Revealed that reviews the 4 different high speed train operators on the most popular route in Spain, from Barcelona to Madrid. I know that the ever-evolving high speed train ecosystem in Spain is a bit confusing to foreigners (seems like every week there are questions about it here lol!). Hopefully this video can demystify it for you all. He looks at:

AVE (Spain's original high speed train)
Avlo (Spain's new low-cost option)
Ouigo (French low-cost option)
Iryo (Italian mid-tier option)

TLDR is that all operators were good options, but that Iryo was his favourite because it combined the low cost of Avlo/Ouigo with the higher standards/comfort of the AVE, only downside was that it did not have too many departures compared to the AVE, but was often half the price of the AVE.

As for booking, he recommends the website Trainline (though he does get a kickback from that site).

Here is the link to the video - https://youtu.be/AWh1XikSMOM
or just search on YT - "I rode EVERY Spanish fast train (and this one is the best)"

Hope this helps :)

Posted by
4131 posts

It's "too long; didn't read", basically just the facts without the fluff.

Posted by
166 posts

Thanks for this Carlos, you have great posts here. So, I thought I'd get your opinion-- I'm planning a Spain coastal trip this Fall (Barcelona to Valencia) and have two nights open to spend either in Peniscola or Castellon de la Plana. I've researched both and am on the fence. If you chose one, which would it be? We'll be taking regional/intercity trains from Tarragona and it seems that it may be easier to get in and out of Castellon. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Paulette

Posted by
4131 posts

@Paulette - I'd choose Peñíscola, good beaches, charming whitewashed old town, and impressive knights templar castle. My uncle used to have a holiday apartment there, so I have been a few times and it's quite nice to visit. If you end up going make sure to try El Peñón, excellent restaurant specializing in the local seafood of the area.

My impression of Castellón is that it's a workaday city with some nice architecture, about 10 times larger than Peñíscola and not nearly as charming.

Posted by
968 posts

Thanks Carlos. I understand that trains have reduced service on Christmas Day. Typically there are three direct trains daily from Granada to Madrid. Is it safe to say there will be a minimum of one?

My thought is that Christmas Day would be a good day to travel between cities since most tourist sights are closed. What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks!

Posted by
4131 posts

@CaliMom - haven't been on the AVE on Christmas day, but they should have at least some lines running.

How the Christmas season works in Spain is a little different than in the USA. In Spain, the Christmas Eve "Nochebuena" on the 24th is actually our main day to spend with the family in one's own house, this is when almost all shops and restaurants closed down.

On Christmas Day the 25th a good number of restaurants and some shops open up actually, this is when many local Spanish families will go out on the town and have their big Christmas Day lunch around 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. so it'll be important to reserve a restaurant in advance for Christmas Day lunch.