Please sign in to post.

Alhambra Tickets

I am buying tickets to visit Alhambra for my end-of-September Granada visit. Before picking the time slot I would like to check here if there is a preferred order to visit the place. What time slot is best to visit Nasrid Palaces? i am just confused here. We plan to spend most part of our day here.

Also, we reach Granada around 3 pm on day 1 from Barcelona and have 2 full days after that. I plan to follow 2 days RS itinerary. For the evening on day 1 is there any suggestion on what we can do? Any good and moderately priced place for dinner with a view of Alhambra.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Posted by
14 posts

When I went, my time slot at the Nasrid palace was around 12:30pm. I got to the grounds around 10am, went to Generalife first. I took my time walking around until about 12noon, I started to line up for the entrance to Nasrid palace. I was there for about 3 hrs, again just taking all in, taking my time.

Posted by
2267 posts

I'd say the most logical order would be:

Alcazaba- Smallest part. Right next to the entrance to...

Nasrid Palace - Exit through the gardens which will take you too...

Generilife- the most remote part. Maybe a bus or cab down the hill from here. Or walk.

Palace of Carlos V and/or Queen Isabella's first resting place either anywhere before Nasrid Palace, or as you walk down after Generalife.

Posted by
2267 posts

and regarding your other quesitons:

El Trillo was a lovely dinner of good food and warm service. We didn't have a view, as those tables were all booked.

I don't know what the 2 day RS itinerary has, but I'll just advise you not to miss the Basilica de San Juan de Dios.

Posted by
115 posts

I don't know what the 2 day RS itinerary has, but I'll just advise you not to miss the Basilica de San Juan de Dios.

Yes, this is not in RS plan. But I do plan to go see that. I have read comments on earlier posts not to miss this. Thanks.

Posted by
5208 posts

Any good and moderately priced place for dinner with a view of Alhambra.

Head over to the Mirador Nicolás (way before sunset) and grab a table on the terrace bar at El Huerto de Juan Ranas a few steps & across the road from the mirador for amazing views of the Alhambra.

Plan to arrive early, as this place is very popular and becomes crowded before sunset.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!

Posted by
27096 posts

I think it's not so easy to figure out how much time you'll want in the various parts of the complex, so it's practical to start with the Nasrid Palaces since you have a drop-dead entry time there. You wouldn't want to traipse back and forth across the large grounds because you ran out of time to see something and you were due at the Nasrid Palaces.

Be aware that the opening schedule for the various parts of the complex varies from day to day. I haven't found that info online, so I stopped at the Visitor Center to get the schedule. For me, the Charles V Palace was do-not-miss. It's a museum showing a lot of decorative elements from the Alhambra--I guess the ones that need protection from the weather. Because it's possible something you'd like to see will turn out to be open only in the AM, I think it's risky not to schedule yourself so you'll have time for stops in addition to the Nasrid Palaces between your arrival time and 1 or 2 PM.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't find the exterior view of the Alhambra exciting. It's mostly a plain wall; the beauty is on the inside. I'd choose a restaurant for the food, price and time-slot available rather than limiting myself to one with an Alhambra view.

Posted by
6525 posts

On our last trip there we stayed at Hotel America right at the Alhambra complex. We had an early afternoon entrance to the Nasrid Palace to avoid the large tourist groups that tend to visit in the morning. Afterwards we went to the Generalife and walked around it for a while. We also took breaks from the heat and went back to our room. I won’t opine on how much time you need in any one place because I’ve visited the Alhambra four times and my opinion would be skewed by my experiences.

The bus from the complex into town ran about every 20 minutes and was inexpensive.