Please sign in to post.

Alhambra Tickets

I have read multiple posts recommending a night visit to the Alhambra as well as a day visit. The site sells tickets for a night time visit of the Nasrid palace, coupled with a day trip to the Gardens and other areas. My question is: does the Nasrid palace warrant another visit during the daytime (extra ticket) or is seeing it at night sufficient?
Thanks,
Nick

Posted by
11294 posts

Seeing it at night is absolutely NOT sufficient as far as I'm concerned. You only see part of the palace, and only the parts that are illuminated. It's nice (although I feel night visits are a bit overrated), but not at all a substitute for seeing the whole palace during the day.

Posted by
4535 posts

The general daytime ticket includes the Nasrid Palace. You just have to select the specific entry time.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you--sounds like I should get the night ticket and then another day ticket to visit the Nasrid palace.

Posted by
32206 posts

I'd suggest making time to also see the Generalife Gardens as they're very impressive, especially the water park. You should be able to see that in an hour or so, and then walk to the other parts of the Alhambra Palace.

As others have mentioned, I'd also plan for a day visit of the palace.

Posted by
12172 posts

I seriously don't think you need a night visit and a day visit. If you haven't been before, plan a day visit. You will be able to see more and better during the day.

If you return to Granada another time, a night visit might be a nice alternate perspective. If I had a choice between a night visit and nothing, I'd choose a night visit - otherwise a day visit would be my first choice.

Posted by
4535 posts

I think there is some confusion about the tickets and opportunities to visit the Alhambra.

The Alhambra is a massive site with several features spread out over the grounds - similar to Versailles or Sintra. The Nasrid Palace is the main attraction, but there are several other places well worth visiting such as the Generalife Palace, the Alcazar (fortress) and a few others. There is a museum too. Within the site are shops, restaurants, a hotel and gardens. Some of the grounds are free to roam, but to enter the main attractions and some of the gardens, you must have a ticket. The ticket (singular, not plural) is sold as either morning or afternoon session to go through the attractions (as you go through each, it is checked off). Once your ticketed time slot is up, you cannot enter those attractions. Also on that ticket is a specific entry time for the Nasrid Palace - you MUST enter the Nasrid at that time or will lose your ability to see it. But you may wander the Nasrid at your leisure and spend as much time exploring the vast palace as you wish.

The nighttime ticket for the Nasrid Palace is a special light show tour that highlights portions of the Nasrid. It is not the same as touring the Nasrid during the day. You only see portions of it. It is often recommended by people here as something special and unique as a supplement to the regular visit. It is not meant to be in lieu of the regular visit. And it is not a repeat of what you have just seen during the day (seeing it lit at night changes the experience and perception).

Obviously if you had no other choice, a night tour is better than nothing. But you would miss out on the vast majority of the Alhambra.

They do sell a daytime "Garden" ticket that gets you entry to most of the attractions except for the Nasrid. I think this may be what the OP was asking. But as noted, the experience is very different as it is not recommended to "skip" the Nasrid during the day.

Posted by
42 posts

When is the best time for the Nasrid Palace admission? Where are the long lines? Are they for admission to the entire Alhambra complex or are they at the entry to the Nasrid Palace? If I get a 9am admission to the Nasrid Palace, for example, will I have trouble given the long line to enter the complex and then a line to enter the Nasrid?

Posted by
42 posts

Another question: Is it possible to pick up the ticket the day before the visit?

Posted by
4535 posts

You need to buy your tickets online well in advance. Then you just pick them up at the entry kiosk on your arrival and using the credit card from your purchase to validate. Lines to enter can be long, but not unreasonable.

The Nasrid Palace is entry by timed ticket only. You have a short window of time to be in line (I think 30 minutes). If you aren't in the line by the designated time, you WILL lose your entry (no exceptions). As long as you are in line, you will be let in.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all for the good information. I will buy the general day ticket and play the additional night palace tour by ear.
Thanks,
Nick

Posted by
8052 posts

If you buy a ticket with an entry time mid day (11-1 as I recall but check that) you have access to all tickets sights all day; if you have a morning ticket you cannot enter these sights in the afternoon and vice versa.

Posted by
42 posts

Has anyone else tried the Ticketmaster site for Alhambra tickets and gotten a 'page not found' message? I tried with Firefox and IE.

Posted by
7297 posts

I have not been in about 8 years. But when we went to the "night" Alhambra visit, it consisted of several 300 Watt floor lamps (torchieres, let's say) scattered around some otherwise dark and shadowy rooms, plus elderly outdoor floodlights on the roof beside one set of fountains. There was no professional lighting design, color, lenses, shutters, motion, stage lighting equipment, or any sense of the beauty and mystery of the Alhambra. My advice is to stick to the daytime tickets.

I hope someone can offer a more recent review of the actual product.

Posted by
25 posts

I bought tickets today. No problem accessing www.alhambra-tickets.es with Firefox, and no problem using a Visa card, after I called the bank and told them to expect a charge. A bit of a problem printing the final page, think it was my computer, not the site. So far (about 1 hour later) no confirmation email, so be sure to print your Id and reference numbers before you leave the site. My reservation is for April 25th, and the 2:30 pm time slot for the Nasrid palace is already sold out! However, there were lots of other slots available. Did not see and have not read any reference to entering between 11 and 1 and being able to stay past 2, as suggested above, but who knows? If you have any specific questions about the process, feel free to PM me. I'm really proud of myself!