Please sign in to post.

Alhambra ticket question

I am about to purchase Alhambra ticket today. Found the only access time to the Nasrid Palaces showing on the website. My question is that if I choose 9:00am access time to the Nasrid Palaces, Can we enter the Alhambra before 9:00am like 8:00am to visit other place first and then get to the Nasrid Palaces at 9:00am? Or it's better to visit the Nasrid Palaces first at 9:00am and then visit other places in Alhambra after.
Thanks

Posted by
23343 posts

Yes. And remember with a 9am entry the cut off is 9.30 and when we were there that did not mean 9.31. They were very strict. I would enter at 8, the Palaces is a several minute walk inside and you can tour Charles' palace while waiting. We had 10am entry and entered about 9, took nearly two hours to get through the NP, then spent the rest of the day on the grounds. There is a lot to see.

Posted by
4574 posts

As Frank says. The grounds are too big to see prior to your Nasrid Palace reservation.

Posted by
5239 posts

Happylife,

Here’s the Alhambra’s helpful website in order to plan your visit.

Do keep in mind that it takes about an hour to walk down from the main entrance, so you may want to go directly to the “Puerta de la Justicia” (Justice Gate) which is closest to Charles V Palace and the Nasrid Palaces.

If you’re staying in the city center, you may want to take the C30 Minibus rather than trekking uphill to the Alhambra complex.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you all for the great suggestions! They are very helpful!!
If I buy the ticket with 9:30 access time to NP, may I enter the entrance from Justice Gate anytime before 9:30 like entering at the open time 8:30?

Posted by
1955 posts

You can enter the gates as soon as the Alhambra opens. Your timed ticket is for the Nazrid Palace.

Posted by
54 posts

I just checked the ticket. Now there are no ticket for 9:30, there are some ticket for 9:00 and 8:30 available. The gate is open at 8:30, do I have enough time ( 30 minutes )walk fro m Justice Gate and get NP at 9:00? Thanks

Posted by
12172 posts

It's easy to miss the Arab baths inside the Alhambra. If you haven't visited Arab baths elsewhere, be sure to find them.

The Alhambra is one of those sights you should plan a full day to see. I agree with the others, give yourself time to reach your reserved entry comfortably, make it your first stop, then plan to visit the rest of the day in no particular hurry with a stop for lunch in the middle.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Sevilla,

We were in Granada and the Alhambra about a week ago.
With a 9:00 NP, get into the line at 8:45.
It might take an hour or two in the NP. I would then go to the main gate, it is between the Generalife and the Alhambra. Go out of the gate and across the road for lunch. Relax, eat, hit the toilets, and then go back into the Alhambra and Generalife. We spent 6 hours total, but knowing what we know now...we would have sat by fountains more often and for longer periods of time.

You can go in and out of the Alhambra ar will, with and without tickets. But most everything you want to see in the walled Alhambra requires 'the ticket'. 'The ticket' is good for one entry into each of the ticketed areas. There is no going into the San Fran. Gardens, or the castle, or Generalife twice with the same ticket.

Catching a bus to the Alhambra...get on near the front of the Cathedral., actually the chapel. That way the bus is mostly empty and you might get a seat. The bus will then pull across the street and park for a few minutes. You remain on the bus. After those minutes, the bus doors open and other people get on.

When to get off is tricky. The main gate has some hub bub going on about it. The bus makes an amazingly sharp left turn in a tiny area designed for taxis and bus pick up and discharge. The actual gate is up and to the right from where you disgorge from the bus.

We did both a daytime and a night time visit. We were not that impressed with the night visit. But that was us.

Many, many people are confused about the busses, when to get off, and rules about the tickets. Join the crowd. I am told that by the end of this year, the Alhambra people will have this all worked out.

Wayne iNES

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks Wayne for very detailed infor.
I have looked at the map of Alhambra. I am planning to take bus C30 from the chapel and going into Nasrid Palaces from Puerta de la Justicia as soon as the doors open at 8:30am and on the way to Nasrid Palaces rent the Audio Guide (don't know if it included in the general ticket or need to pay separate), and get in the line to Nasrid Palaces by 9:00 which it's the access time of Nasrid Palaces we have purchased.
Hopefully half an hour is enough for us by 9:00 to be able to get Nasrid Palaces.

Posted by
5239 posts

Happylife,

I am planning to take bus C30 from the chapel and going into Nasrid Palaces from Puerta de la Justicia as soon as the doors open at 8:30am and on the way to Nasrid Palaces rent the Audio Guide (don't know if it included in the general ticket or need to pay separate), and get in the line to Nasrid Palaces by 9:00 which it's the access time of Nasrid Palaces we have purchased.

Please note that the C-30 Minibus will stop at the main entrance of the Alhambra first, then it will start heading downhill. The stop closest to the Puerta de la Justicia is the second or third stop {click on map to zoom in}
If you don't speak Spanish, I'd suggest you write " Por favor me puede avisar cuando lleguemos a la parada de la Puerta de la Justicia? Muchas gracias!" (can you please let me know when we arrive to the stop for the Justice gate? Thanks!)

We did not get an audioguide when we visited the Alhambra, but it looks like you can now order them in advance online.

One more thing... Beware of school hours. We had tickets to visit the Nasrid Palaces @ 3pm and the minibus, as well as taxis and a multitude of cars, were stuck in heavy traffic on the one way street going to the Alhambra Complex. We had taken the minibus to the Alhambra the day before, and it only took us about 10-15 minutes to get there, but the following afternoon the ride took almost 30 minutes!

Make sure to eat the deliciously creamy ice cream at "Los Italianos", right across the street from the cathedral.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
4574 posts

I went for first entry and the audio guide booth is a roll out kiosk that arrives at the same time as first entry. Thankfully, you are allowed 30 minutes to enter as any wanting guides had to purchase them and wnter after the first wave. I think you mentioned the first entry was 8:30 so younhsve time to fetmthe guide before 9.
Even if the bus drops you off at the main gate walk down to the Justice Gate outside the complex. It is about 10-15 minute walk and well marked.