Please sign in to post.

Alhambra question

I am diligently on my computer waiting for the May tickets to come out.

I am thinking of getting one night tour, and then one day tour - both including the palace visit. (vs the double ticket tour where you only see the palace once).

Is this an overkill? I've read about how great the night is - just don't know how different it is from the day.

Thanks.

Posted by
16232 posts

We did both ( plus a guided visit to the engineering works) and I highly recommend doing both the day and night visit, at least to the Palaces. The Nazrid Palaces are magical at night.

Posted by
27096 posts

If you have the time, I recommend doing both. If I had to choose one time to visit the Palaces, I would choose daytime. My preference may be affected by my age (68) and the fact that things always seem just a bit too dark at night. Another factor is that last April I found the crowding a bit worse at night. I think that's because there's just one entry time at night, so just about everyone seems to flow into the Palaces at the same time.

If you want to use the audio guide for both visits (which I found helpful), hold on to your receipt because it gets you either a discount the second day or a free rental--I don't remember which.

Posted by
6525 posts

To me it might be overkill. I say that because you can visit the complex without buying a ticket, so can walk around at night, just not enter the palace. If you saw the Nasrid palace during the day and don’t care to see it again, then a day ticket would suffice. If you wanted to see it at night, then by all means get both.

Posted by
303 posts

We just went in the day, and I very much wished we'd booked the night tour too....

Posted by
1603 posts

I highly recommend visiting the Nasrid Palaces at night, in addition to the daytime visit. When we went at night in September 2017, the night tour was less crowded and it was also quiet. It is magical, as other people have said, because you can hear the running water. And the focus is not only on the water, but also on the ornate ceilings because of the uplighting, which makes the ceilings stand out and gives them a softer glow.

I assume you will visit Granada only once in your life, so take the time to see the Alhambra thoroughly, and visit it at night, too. If you really don't have the time for a night time visit, then the day time visit is the most important, IMO.

Posted by
2311 posts

I absolutely loved our day visit, and would have loved to return at night, but no tickets were available. Tickets are relatively inexpensive - get both day and night tickets. I would do the day visit first. If you’re planning guided tours, I don’t think you would need a guide for both.

Posted by
169 posts

Wow - thank you everyone. IF I can, I think I will get both. Day first, then night. Wish me luck!

Posted by
52 posts

Policy change - tickets for May won't be sold until March 1st.

Posted by
15582 posts

The night visits are only a couple nights a week - maybe more in May?

I went first in the evening, then during the day and that's the way I would recommend doing it, if you can. It's certainly not overkill. There are some nice views of the city below as well as the romantic magic of the rooms and courtyard at night.

Posted by
169 posts

Vojo - thank you. I was on another forum this morning and saw the changes. I was all ready and perched on my computer and nothing was happening....

Posted by
676 posts

We visited both times and I loved both. I would go back in a heartbeat - the Alhambra is now a favorite of mine. Incredible place!