Please sign in to post.

Alhambra question

I am planning a trip in November with my family and visiting the Alhambra is on the list! I think we want to do a guided tour? I have done so much reading and researching and this might seem like a stupid question, but to purchase tickets, do I purchase them on line through the Alhambra website for my family and then purchase a guided tour from a different website? In RS guidebook, he recommends Cicerone. Does anybody have experience with them? I really would like to have a great tour, because the prices seem very expensive. Thank you so much for all your help and advice in advance!
Heather Smith

Posted by
1593 posts

All tours I have been on have included all necessary tickets.

Posted by
697 posts

You should check with the guide. Some will have you buy the tickets yourself and some will provide the tickets.

For our tour last year, we contacted Maria Ortiz de Landazuri (in the RS guide, alhambratours.com). Her partner Maria did our tour, and we really, really enjoyed it. We purchased our own entry tickets from the Alhambra website and paid the guide for her services on the day of the tour.

Contact the guide now, make sure they can accommodate your schedule, and then follow his/her directions for obtaining tickets.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
27230 posts

There is at least one (presumably low-end) tour company that has sold tours of the Alhambra that did not include the Nasrid Palaces--the most important part of the complex. Be sure you know what you are getting.

I was happy with the audioguide at the Alhambra, but I don't like to feel rushed. I've noticed that tour groups tend to spend less time than I do at tourist sights.

Posted by
218 posts

We haven't gone yet (trip is in Oct), but researched Cicerone and also DebVT's guide Margarita Ortiz de Landazuri (both RS recommended). From what I saw, Cicerone's group tour includes the Alhambra ticket, Margarita's private tour we had to purchase on our own. The total price between the 2 companies was so close (only 2 of us), that I decided to go ahead with the private tour. We booked our day/time with Maria and then when the tickets went on sale we purchased them right away.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all so much for your help! I reached out to Margarita and reserved her tour. It is private and much cheaper for the 5 of us. Thanks again for all your advice.
Heather