Please sign in to post.

Alhambra at night

We will be visiting the Alhambra in Granada in October and will see it in the daytime with a private guide. I have read good things about seeing it at night as well. I am assuming our daytime ticket won't get us in at night, but I am confused which of the nighttime tickets is best to buy. Can anyone advise me? Thanks!

Posted by
6521 posts

The complex is open to everybody for free. The ticket is needed to enter the Nasrid Palace. If you don’t care about going back into the palace, no ticket is needed. I’ve never gone into the Nasrid Palace at night. With regard to the remainder of the complex at night, I personally feel it is best seen from a distance from a place like Mirador San Nicolás. On our last trip there we stayed at Hotel América right at the complex and there really isn’t much to see at night unless you do go into the palace. If you do want to enter the palace at night you will need a separate ticket.

Posted by
1603 posts

We had a day time tour and a night time tour of the Alhambra, and we loved both tours. The night time tour is for the Nasrid Palace and you do need a separate ticket for this. It is well worth it. At night the palace is very magical with lighting and it's also very quiet and you can hear the running water. The focus is not only on the water but also on the ornate ceilings because of the uplighting which makes the ceilings stand out and gives them a soft glow. A wonderful experience!

Posted by
27091 posts

If you have the time (the cost is modest for a world-class sight), I think a nighttime visit to the Nasrid Palaces is definitely worthwhile. You should not expect them to be less crowded at night than in the daytime, however. Tickets tend to sell out at night as well as in the daytime. At the time of my most recent visit (early May 2019), there seemed to be a lot more people lined up at the entry point prior to the nighttime visit.

Posted by
15582 posts

I did the nighttime visit to the Nasrid Palaces first, then the day visit. The night visit was enchanting. I had a totally different sense of what it was like to live there. In my memory, it was less crowded at night. Either they sell fewer tickets for each entry or maybe, because there's no limit to how long you stay, there were just fewer people lingering. During the day it looked completely different, also wonderful but very different. At night, there's a nice view overlooking the city from one of the passageways.

There is also a night visit to the Generalife which I have not done.

Posted by
46 posts

We traveled throughout Spain for approximately three weeks in 2016, and our visit to Alhambra was among one of the highlights, of which there were many. We also did both the day and night tours of Alhambra ~ so good choice ~ both were stunning and unique in their own ways; the first tour we took was the one by night, and we're glad we planned it that way. And the sunset we watched over Granada from up there has continued to stay with me, to include was my iPhone wallpaper for a very long time.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the description or site has changed since we purchased in early 2016, but at that time, the night tour was referenced as "Alhambra Nocturna Palacios". Enjoy!

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks for all the input. I bought the Nasrid palace nighttime ticket for the same day we're taking the downtown tour. Looking forward to it!