Please sign in to post.

Alhambra

Hello,
My daughter and I are in Seville for 7 days in May. Wondering if we should visit Cordoba or Granada. I've been told not to miss the Alhambra. I'm not big into touristy sites and long lines but everyone says it's a must see. Your thoughts? Also is there a recommended tour if we decide to go? Thanks!
Cori

Posted by
400 posts

You should also check transit schedules. Granada seems like a long way to go for a day trip, where Cordova is an easier train ride. (Also check Jerez for the horses and a sherry tasting. That should also be an easy train or bus ride).

Posted by
4140 posts

I don't let " touristy places " designations deter me from seeing places , they tend to be that way for very good reasons , I bought my tickets 90 days ahead when sales opened for my visit in 2016 , and thus , had no difficulty . May , and beyond is likely to be impossible , but one potential avenue might be your hotel , which might have ticket access . It's worth asking them . In any event The Mesquita in Cordoba is also a real winner , as are the Alcazar and its gardens in Sevilla. While not Granada , The Alcazar will give you a good approximation of what is in The Nasrid Palace and Generalife Gardens

Posted by
11133 posts

I would not categorize remarkable historic and religious sites as “touristy sites.” Buy tickets well in advance to visit these not be missed places.

Posted by
16187 posts

I missed that this would be a daytrip. The Alhambra is not a daytrip from Sevilla unless you are upmfor a very long day.

I checked and the General Visit ( Nazrid Palaces, Generalife, and Alcazaba) is completely sold out for May, every day, on the official website.

They may be able to visit the gardens and fort, and book a separate ticket for a night visit to the places ( pretty magical) but I did not check on that availability. And with a night visit to the palaces, it is definitely not a daytrip.

Cordova, on the other hand, is an easy 45-minute trip from Seville, and the Mezquita is amazing.

Posted by
41 posts

I emailed the info desk at the Alhambra and was told to check often on their website for tickets that have been returned. So far it seems that about a week before your visit if you look you may find some availability. Right now there are tickets available for the end of April even though when I was looking several weeks ago the month of April was sold out.

Posted by
15576 posts

You should definitely visit Cordoba. The Mezquita is beautiful and the medieval quarter, the Juderia, is very well preserved. There's more to see than that. Disclaimer: Cordoba is my favorite Spanish city.

Posted by
8035 posts

The Alcazar in Seville is a similar experience to the Alhambra -- yes not the same, but similar. I would not do Granada as a day trip but Cordoba is an absolutely must and an afternoon suffices for the Mezquita, the most amazing thing IMHO in Spain. If you go to the Alhambra, you need to book tickets well in advance but you absolutely don't need a tour. The gardens are IMHO the most amazing part.