Please sign in to post.

Advance Train Ticket Purchase

I have been buying advance train tickets on either the RENFE site or through Petrabax for my last several trips to Spain. I am, however, having a lot of trouble for my upcoming trip. I have tried to buy tickets, for example, from Madrid to Salamanca on October 21st, and trains on this route are not listed on RENFE or Petrabax. I also want to get tickets for several other trips over the following three weeks, but I cannot find them. I understand that seasonal schedule changes occur in June and December, so that should not be a factor. Conventional wisdom on this and other similar sites says advanced tickets can be purchased from 60 to 90 days in advance. Has this policy changed? Anyone have a suggestion?

Posted by
4535 posts

A few people have reported that RENFE has been slow to post schedules. Have you tried finding the same train but for a date sooner? If you find it, then you know it just hasn't been posted yet for your later date. If not, then perhaps you are entering the stations wrong (Madrid can be tricky with so many different stations, and two Atocha stations).

Posted by
3 posts

Jack, had the same problems with those two sites for the past month. Needed train tickets from Barcelona to San Sebastián and Bilbao to Madrid. Used loco2.com with success. Found the tip on a R/S transportation blog.

Frank

Posted by
135 posts

I also experienced problems with Petrabax and RENFE and tried loco2 with great success. Suggest you give it a try.

Posted by
1178 posts

Might check the web site The Man in Seat 61 for information...

Posted by
16893 posts

Mid-September is also a seasonal schedule change opportunity, per tradition, but not as widely used as June and December. They can also delay a ticket release for various reasons. Looks like Renfe is currently booking this route through Sept. 18. I would be suspicious of any site selling tickets when Renfe itself is not. Anyway, Loco2 is not the solution this time; also doesn't have the Oct. 21 date for sale.