Please sign in to post.

7 nights in Southern Spain (April 24 - May 1, 2019)

We have 7 nights to spend in this region before taking bus to Lagos, Portugal for the remainder of the trip. We will fly into Malaga and want to see Granada, Cordoba, Seville, Ronda. My question is how to split up the nights and also which route would be the easiest or most efficient use of time. My thought was to spend 2 nights beaching in Malaga, 1-2 nights in Granada, 1-2 nights in Cordoba, and 3 nights in Seville (do a day trip to Ronda from Seville). We will be using the train or bus. WE are not looking to see every sight but want to see one or two things (we enjoy the beauty of landscape, nice views, possibly a castle or palace or 2, 1 -2 beautiful churches, bicycling in Malaga, tapas, wine, music, outdoor concerts or live music in interesting cafes and bars. 9possibly see Caves at Nerja on route to Granada?) Is there a city you would leave out or perhaps a different city to add in? We hope to use train or bus and not have to rent a car.
Thank you!

Posted by
27062 posts

I'm not sure late April is go-in-the-water weather, even in Malaga--though I am by no means sure, not being a beach person. I suggest checking historical day-by-day temperatures for several recent years on timedandate.com and Googling for water temperatures.

If it turns out that beach time isn't in the cards, I'd omit Malaga so you won't be so rushed in trying to see the other places on your list.

Posted by
15576 posts

The water will be bracing - low 60s.

Are you planning to rent a car or use public transportation?

Posted by
1292 posts

I think you trying to cram too much into seven nights. Whilst I do like Malaga, that is the one I'd omit. There is direct coach from Malaga airport to Granada run by Alsa (and a more frequent service from Malaga centre). From Granada it's straightforward by public transport to go to Cordoba, then onto Sevilla from where, I assume, the coach to Portugal leaves. I'd do two nights in each of Granada and Cordoba and three in Sevilla.

If you want to see the countryside without the benefit of your own car, two options spring to mind - though there are others. One is day-trip by local bus (or tour) from Granada into the low Alpujarras (which also has white villages, if less famous than the ones further west). Or split the journey between Granada and Cordoba with a few hours in Antequera from where you can walk/bicycle/taxi to some countryside (Coach from G to A, then later in the day train from A to C; hopefully you can leave luggage at the station).

April should be fine for sitting on the beach in Malaga (or Nerja) possibly even sun-bathing, but it would be too chilly for me to go in the sea (though you will see some bathers).