Please sign in to post.

5-7 days in Costa Brava in May 2020

Hi there- My husband and I would like to visit one or two beautiful, laid back beach towns in Spain, preferably accessible by train from Barcelona. Tossa? Llafranc? Tamariu? We're most interested in pretty places with great food, but not too packed. Possible?
We'll be traveling on to Provence from there, if that helps. Thanks!

Posted by
1582 posts

Hi Kerry,

I went to Tossa de Mar a few years ago and loved it. It's a lovely old town, with several beaches. The nightlife is good - there are plenty of bars and good restaurants serving Spanish food.

A resort you might consider around Brava is L'Estartit. You can rent apartments from a local agency, www.prestigiproperties.com. L'Estartit has a lovely beach, great restaurants and several good bars around the harbor area that are open late.

You will have to rent a car in Costa Brava. Public transportation is very limited.

Here is a web page that will help you plan activities there:

https://www.theintrepidguide.com/costa-brava-itinerary-best-places-to-visit-in-costa-brava/#.XLdwl6BKiUk

Posted by
3904 posts

By late May/early June (the start of beach season) you will begin to find more and more people. On the Costa Brava there will not be an "undiscovered gem" devoid of people, remember many of the tourists visiting these towns are also locals themselves, who have been coming to the Costa Brava for years. Also note that many of these coastal towns do not have train connections, most of the time buses would be required.

Tossa de Mar should be still ok in May in terms of people, Tossa would probably be my personal pick as it's the most unique of the coastal towns, but only if it's not super packed like in July.

That area around Llafranc and Calella de Palafrugell is a smaller option, but more quaint, there will probably be less people, I think it fits your criteria of the more laid back smaller beach town better.

You could also consider Cadaqués for a more traditional Costa Brava experience.

Posted by
138 posts

We also love Tossa de Mar! We were there four nights three years ago and could have stayed longer. There is a beautiful castle ruin on the edge of town by the Sea that we walked up to daily. Great bar/cafe overlooking the Sea once up there. Many trails to hike on that end with beautiful views over the Sea. Plus walking to the other end of the beach is a rugged beach area to explore. We took a boat ride, as well. We stayed at Capri Hotel per suggestion of someone on this forum. It's located on the beach at the edge of town with the ruins. Comes with breakfast and they have a restaurant inside and outside looking out to the sea. Family run.

Don't know if the train takes you there. We took the bus from Barcelona, about ninety minutes. Perhaps the train get you part way, don't remember.
The main beach area is not particularly special, but views are beautiful as you climb a bit.
Big grocery on opposite end of town from Capri Hotel where you could fill liter bottles of sangria from the tap. Fun bar a couple blocks in from Capri that played 80's music and had great drinks and meat/cheese platters.
We were there in May and once the weekend arrived, so did plenty of people so I'd try and be there during the week.

Posted by
2173 posts

And for Cadaques you also have to take the bus, which we did from Figueres. If you take the train from Barcelona to Figueres, be sure to take the "slow" train, whose station is just a block from the bus station. If the you take the fast train, you end up out in the suburbs.

P.S. Totally worth it! We loved Cadaques.