Please sign in to post.

$300 for 3 hrs w/ private guide, Valencia

How does that strike you all? Seems high to me by at least 50 Euros. It’s a professional guide, recommended by another pro guide in a different city. Or maybe the question is whether being in Valencia (for 7 full days) would benefit from a private tour? Thoughts?

Posted by
30 posts

It strikes me that you have the funds to spend!

I would never spend that much for a private guide just to tour a city. Is this a walking tour, or are you going in a private car?

Are you fit and healthy?

We are actually stopping in Valencia this Summer, and we are first going to take a Tuk-tuk tour to get our bearings before we continue touring (walking mainly) on our own. They also offer bike and Segway tours for much less, and if you are really on a budget, there is a hop-on, hop-off bus. If you want to learn more about the city for a low price, read some great guide books.

Since you are there for a week, you should have plenty of time to learn about the city on your own.

Have a good visit!

Posted by
9 posts

A private guide costs money. If it were me, I wouldn't waste a lot of time nickel and diming for another 50 euros. If the person seems good and is well reviewed, go with it. If they seem like they are nothing special or are out of line with others in the area, find something else.

We never take private tours of cities, but we have taken many private food tours. The good ones are comparable or sometimes cost more, depending on the city.

Posted by
341 posts

I applaud your consideration to employ a local guide! That goes directly into someone's pocket, so I'd just make sure it's someone who is local and very knowledgeable. I think it's a great way of really learning a place and you'll likely learn a lot that most of us cannot just by following our tour plans. There's nothing wrong with valuing this service and paying for it.

On a related note, I drive a 12 year old car (and we only have one in our household), preferring to take the bus. But we are willing to eat at a Michelin 3 star restaurant on our up coming trip for the experience. That's what travel is about - experiences and you get to decide which you value most!

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for your responses. I completely agree that, when possible, a pro guide who is excellent is well worth the extra expense if you can afford it. Note that I have been traveling the world for over 50 years and this trip to Spain is the first time ever that we’ve hired private guides. And this far, we’ve been super pleased. We had Frederico Garcia in Madrid and Margarita Ortiz in Granada. Both are recommended in RS guide and deservedly so! Highly recommend both.

I communicated with the Valencia guide ( who I located by asking Margarita and Frederico for advice) that the cost was too high for us. She responded that the date we requested was a holiday and thus the higher fee. We settled on the day earlier for 1/2 the price, 150 euros for 3 hours walking tour which is more in line with pricing we’ve been experiencing.

Posted by
341 posts

I'm impressed with your price sense! Look at you knowing the price was off! And there it had a reason too!

Posted by
882 posts

I don't envy your Valencia tour guide in as much as it will be difficult not to compare her with Federico and Margarita - two of the finest guides, anywhere.
Their recommendation is high praise.

Posted by
8943 posts

I would never go on another "Free" tour. They wasted my time in 2 cities with guides who had simply memorized a script and could not answer any questions at all. Thinking they are all history grads is a laugh.

300€ was a bit high, but in some cities it is the norm. Depends on where you are.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello Darlene,

I sent you a PM on March 23rd asking if you would share the name and contact information for your private tour guide in Valencia.
Would you be able to respond to my PM ?
Thank you