Please sign in to post.

2018-19 B of A atms In Spain

I’d like to know about recent experiences using a B of A card in atms In Spain. I want to avoid extra charges. We will be in Andalucia for almost our whole trip. Are Deutsche Bank, BNP Paribas, and Barclays all B of A partners in Spain? Thanks.

Posted by
7299 posts

In general, using a B of A partner bank (formerly known as Global Alliance) only saves you fixed-fees and at only one bank in each country where the have a partner. The German and French banks you named will incur out of network fixed fees while you are in Spain. You will still, at EVERY bank in a country outside the US, be paying 3% to B of A to get your own money out of your account.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't know that DB was the Spain partner. I use my B of A ATM card abroad only in extreme circumstances now. Of course, that would mean that you "only" pay 3% to use DB in Spain, and no fixed fixes for each ATM transaction. I was carelessly thinking of DB as the German B of A partner in Germany. That is a rare case of the same bank being a partner in two B of A countries.

I suggest that the OP use the Search Box top center to read past discussions of ATM fees and Credit Union accounts, among other topics.

Posted by
2375 posts

I recently returned from Spain/Andalusia.
Unlike my trip to Spain in 2016, when ATMs didn't charge a use fee, this time I, and people I was traveling with, often found that ATMs were charging a use fee, often €5. DeutscheBank was not, at least not yet.

I was using a Credit Union card, not BofA.

Posted by
15582 posts

I was in Barcelona last week. I went to a bank ATM that wanted around €5 transaction fee. I cancelled, went to another cank ATM a few meters down and there was no fee. I have a Capital One MM account with no transaction fees and the effective rate in Europe is almost always within 1% of xe.com's mid-market rate.

Posted by
7299 posts

I'm not disputing LIZ's reply, but understand that some fixed fees at foreign ATMs are the HOME bank's out-of-network charge, not just the local bank's foreign ATM operator access fee. It's quite true that many European banks don't happen to levy a fixed-fee access charge themselves. That has nothing to do with Bank of America.

Because the FAQ opens with Javascript, I can only post the main page address:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/atm-fees-faqs/

Page down to "What is the Global ATM Alliance?" As of 3/2019, this says:

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card within the Global ATM Alliance to avoid the non-Bank of America usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry,Footnote 1 as well as the ATM operator access fee. An international transaction fee of 3% will apply when converting your currency.Footnote 2 Only ATMs in the countries listed below are considered part of the Global ATM Alliance.
Global ATM Alliance Partners Coverage Area
Barclays layer United Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel Islands
BNP Paribas layer France
BNL D'Italia layer Italy
UkrSibbank layer Ukraine
TEB layer Turkey
Deutsche Bank layer Germany and Spain
Scotiabank layer Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile and the Caribbean including: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands
Westpac Bank layer Australia and New Zealand
Additional Partners Coverage Area
China Construction Bank layer Mainland China, excluding Hong Kong

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks for this feedback. I read that Deutsche Bank is a B of A affiliate in Spain, but I just wanted to know if that really worked for anyone. I've always tried to use partner banks to avoid unnecessary extra fees. I had good luck using BNP Paribas in France and Barclays in Scotland and England.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hola,
There is another topic listed with 32 replies on bsnk feed. You could look at that. Deutsch Bank did not charge my Capital One a fee. But Spanish banks are 100% worth avoiding for me. I am in Spain now. Sevilla.
Wayne iNES