Please sign in to post.

Canary Islands

My wife and I are planning to visit the Canary Islands for 14 to 17 days and thought we would pick the brains of you experienced travelers for suggestions on the following:
1. Best inter-island flight options;
2. On the various islands, should we rent a car, or is getting around to the best points of interest easy without a car?;
3. Great places to stay (our budget ranges from 75 to 200 euros per night);
4. Great places to eat;
5. Not to be missed points of interest or things to do.

Thanks, Don

Posted by
16894 posts

I don't believe that any RS staff have visited the Canary Islands. We just read Lonely Planet and dream about it.

Posted by
270 posts

I'm keeping an eye on this thread because the Canary Islands are on my short list of places to visit. I have many of the same questions as Don. Thanks for any information.

Posted by
17 posts

I can try to help;

I spent a weekend in Tenerife, and it was honestly too short. We were in both the North and South, and it only takes 1-2 hours depending on transportation mode to get between the two parts. It also depends what you're looking for, the North is more authentic and the natural pools are beautiful. We also hiked Teide, which is the volcano on the island, and that took 3.5 hours with a half hour for lunch, and you can stay at the refugio at the summit. It is physically demanding though, so I would recommend being in good physical shape. The South is your more lay on the beach immersion, and is more touristy as well. I stayed in hostels, so would not be able to assist on hotel recommendations. You can do a cruise for a few hours, snorkel, and just wander the cities. Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the main city in the North is a little more spread out that those in the South, but I preferred it to the South.

For jumping between the islands, I believe there's a boat you can take from Gran Canaria to Tenerife, as well as fly from Ryanair. You don't need a car, although I think renting scooters or bikes would be fun. The bus system gets you anywhere in Tenerife, so I'd assume it's similar on the other islands. On Gran Canaria, there's the Maspalomas dunes, but never having been to the island, I can't expound on other suggestions.

You'll have a great time, the Canarias are beautiful. I was there in early March and we had mid-70's weather.

Alec

Posted by
13 posts

A very good alternative to cars are the so called "Guaguas". They are buses connecting pretty much all of the places on each Island. They are quite cheap and also very reliable.
A great place to stay is the "Hotel Puerto Azul" in Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife. Offers good food for cheap money and is very close to the beach there.
If you are on the Islands in February dont miss the Carnival there. Its really one of the major events of the whole year!!!