Please sign in to post.

Madrid neighborhoods & apartments

Please recommend neighborhoods or apartments to rent in Madrid. I'm traveling in May and I'll check out VRBO and the Rick Steves suggested apartment connection. Restaurants and distance to the Prado and other sites are a consideration but walking is a pleasure for me. Thanks to Donna for pointing out my original posting error and thanks to you for your insight.

Posted by
1501 posts

Too funny! I still recommend the Porta del Sol neighborhood! LOL I hope someone else is looking for you! BTW, I've never been disappointed renting through VRBO. I've used them in Florence, Paris, Rome, Spain (several cities), etc. Just "Google Map" the address and use your Best Judgment.

Posted by
12 posts

I recommend the neighborhood of Chueca. Our hotel (the Only You) was there and it's a fun area with lots of restaurants and such, but is off the tourist path. All respect to Donna, but I personally would hate the Puerta de Sol region--way too crowded, loud, with too many tourists. That's fine during the day but after a long day of sightseeing, I personally want an oasis. Chueca was filled with actual madrileños and was really a respite. But it's still within walking distance of most sites. it felt a lot more authentic than being in some of the touristy areas.

My friend uses airbnb to find rental apartments and swears by it, but I have never used it.

Good luck!

Posted by
32 posts

A year ago in October, I stayed in an apartment facing the north side of Plaza de Oriente and found it on Trip Advisor. It was a 1 bedroom apartment (with a real bed) plus a sofa bed in the living room. I had a full updated kitchen and washer/dryer combo. It came to around 75 USD per night, which I think was lower because I stayed 17 nights.

While it wasn't near the Prado, it was only about 2 miles from the Opera metro stop and from there it was easy to get to the art museums. It was also across the street from the Hop On Tourist bus, which was very convenient. Lots of good restaurants and the area was VERY safe because of the proximity to the Royal Palace. There were always a lot of police on patrol.

I am a single female and always travel solo and never felt unsafe.