Please sign in to post.

Vueling airlines

I bought my wife and I tickets on Vueling for flights Madrid-Barcelona and return. I bought 1 checked bag for each of us on both flights, but didn'[t realize till later that if I'd purchased their Optima fare instead of the Basic fare, the luggage was included. I've messaged them several times and just get back an automated response to look into buying an Excellent fare, without any response to my question if I can keep the same flight and just change to the Optima and get a refund on the difference between the higher Optima fare and the charge for the luggage on the Basic fare.

If that's not possible, I also asked them if we can get a refund, if we don't have a need for one of us to check a bag, even though we've already paid for it. Does anyone have experience or insight with Vueling on this?

Posted by
5326 posts

In their terms and conditions Veuling states that if you change your booking you get no refund if the new fare is cheaper than the old one.

It seems possible to change from Basic to Optima as only downgrading the fare is forbidden in the T&Cs. However, I doubt you would at the same time be able to cancel an extra. Try calling the service centre, maybe the one with a UK number to ensure an English speaker.

Posted by
2 posts

Dispite the baggage snafu, is this a reliable airline? I have only used Ryanair in Europe iwhich was great, but Vueling offers the route I want next Feb. Appreciate any comments.

Posted by
9363 posts

It sounds like the "baggage snafu" was your fault, not theirs. As for their reliability, I have heard several reports of Vueling canceling flights without notice. I have never used them myself, though.

Posted by
35 posts

oates, We've used Vueling twice from Frankfurt to Barcelona with no problems. Would not hesitate to use them again.

mdelman, I don't know how long it's been since you messaged Vueling but I had a check in question the first time we flew with Vueling & it took ~ a week to get an answer to my email other than the automated response. I did get the answer I needed though.

Posted by
7175 posts

I flew Vueling from Madrid to Barcelona in 2009 (before it became part of the BA/Iberia group) and found them to be just fine.
Like any other low cost carrier just ensure you are aware of all the rules and conditions, especially with luggage and check-in.
Most unlikely you would get a refund but perhaps a credit voucher to be used for your next booking.
If the amount is 13 euros ($17) each is it really worth worrying about?

Posted by
5 posts

My experience with vueling has been really good so far, reliable (no incidents of any kind in our experience) but their policy is the same as in all other lowcost airlines: you have to pay for absolutely everything, including luggage, and once you pay, usually there are no refunds. Also, bear in mind that they only allow ONE bag in the cabin -if you have a carry on plus a handbag, they'll ask you to put your handbag in the carry on, since it counts as a second bag! So make sure you leave enough space in your trolley to put in everything before boarding.

Posted by
6 posts

Just flew Malaga to Barcelona, figured out the Optima baggage savings right from the start. We also would fly them again, at least as good as Southwest and probably better.
But, there does not seem to be any type of customer service at all and I would be surprised if you succeeded in changing anything.